Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use concatenated fields for "User Display Name Attribute"?

My Kro September 19, 2012

I'm setting up Internal Directory with LDAP Authentication.

I want the User Display Name Attribute to show a combination of two LDAP fields, ie. "givenName sn". This is because my LDAP Server doesn't publish displayName in the format I want.

Can I concatenate multiple fields for this property?

4 answers

3 votes
Zul NS _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 27, 2013

I've recently get the chance to test this, and found out that I can configure the User Display Name Attribute to be from two combination of LDAP fields. This is what I configure in my DELEGATED LDAP configuration to OpenDS on JIRA 6.0

User Display Name Attribute: cn sn

EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2013

The original question was specific to Crowd, and at least in version 2.5.3 < it does not work.

org.springframework.ldap.InvalidSearchFilterException: invalid attribute description; nested exception is javax.naming.directory.InvalidSearchFilterException: invalid attribute description; remaining name 'ou=People,o=org'

Jean-François FORGET February 15, 2016

This works perfectly under JIRA Software 7.0.4 without Crowd. Thanks. 

1 vote
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 28, 2013

I found a solution that works in Crowd, assuming the concatenation you are looking for matched the fields specified in "first name" and "last name" fields.

If crowd is given an attribute it can not find, it will fall back on concatenating first and last name.

Specifying a bogus field for 'user display name attribute' will concatenate 'user first name attribute' and 'user last name attribute'

0 votes
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2013

Hi My,

As far as I know, this is not possible:

- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-29272

Best regards,
Lucas Timm

0 votes
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 5, 2013

Would love to see this too. Our enterprise LDAP server admins never update displayName, and so it uses maiden names and other outdsated information where as givenName and sn are always accurate.

I know other tools allow values like {givenName} {sn} for the attribute to concanate, but this made Crowd blow-up.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events