Can I use concatenated fields for "User Display Name Attribute"?

I'm setting up Internal Directory with LDAP Authentication.

I want the User Display Name Attribute to show a combination of two LDAP fields, ie. "givenName sn". This is because my LDAP Server doesn't publish displayName in the format I want.

Can I concatenate multiple fields for this property?

4 answers

3 votes

I've recently get the chance to test this, and found out that I can configure the User Display Name Attribute to be from two combination of LDAP fields. This is what I configure in my DELEGATED LDAP configuration to OpenDS on JIRA 6.0

User Display Name Attribute: cn sn

The original question was specific to Crowd, and at least in version 2.5.3 < it does not work.

org.springframework.ldap.InvalidSearchFilterException: invalid attribute description; nested exception is javax.naming.directory.InvalidSearchFilterException: invalid attribute description; remaining name 'ou=People,o=org'

This works perfectly under JIRA Software 7.0.4 without Crowd. Thanks. 

I found a solution that works in Crowd, assuming the concatenation you are looking for matched the fields specified in "first name" and "last name" fields.

If crowd is given an attribute it can not find, it will fall back on concatenating first and last name.

Specifying a bogus field for 'user display name attribute' will concatenate 'user first name attribute' and 'user last name attribute'

Would love to see this too. Our enterprise LDAP server admins never update displayName, and so it uses maiden names and other outdsated information where as givenName and sn are always accurate.

I know other tools allow values like {givenName} {sn} for the attribute to concanate, but this made Crowd blow-up.

Hi My,

As far as I know, this is not possible:

- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-29272

Best regards,
Lucas Timm

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Feb 27, 2018 in Crowd

The Crowd team is looking for feedback on Server & Data Center customers' identity strategies!

Do you own more than one Server or Data Center product? Do you have challenges provisioning users across your Atlassian products? Are you spending a lot of time integrating each Atlassian product wit...

1,203 views 6 14
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you