Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Can I use Crowd as an IdP in a SAML2 configuration?

Would be great if Crowd could be an IdP in a SAML2 IdP/SP relationship.

4 answers

Hi @S Alexandre Lemaire

Crowd data center supports crowd as an IDP. For more, you can refer attached-link below.

Crowd SSO: https://confluence.atlassian.com/crowd/crowd-sso-2-0-967322291.html 

Is there a solution for non-data-center users? We use Crowd server and are looking for Crowd as an IdP. 

Like Marcin Kocon private likes this

Hello Bruno Vincent,

Is there any update on SAML support in Crowd?

Thanks,

Thejeswarareddy R

Hi @thejeswarareddy_r 

Well yes, sort of. Atlassian released Crowd SSO 2.0 in Crowd 3.4 (Data Center only). This is basically SAML authentication for Atlassian products (e.g. Jira, Confluence), the Crowd server acting as a SAML Identity Provider.

However general SAML support, which means Crowd acting as a standard SAML IdP for any application (not just Atlassian's) with any kind of specific configuration has not been delivered yet. I suggest that you start watching CWD-1822 for updates on this.

Like Marcin Kempa likes this

HI @Bruno Vincent ,
In My organization, I am planning to use Crowd as IDP and Jira & Confluence as service provider. Though I am following https://confluence.atlassian.com/crowd/crowd-sso-2-0-967322291.html document which help me to configure Crowd and Jira application to setup Crowd as IDP but while logging in Jira using SSO , it is sending SAML request to IDP which is crowd but it is not getting validation or authorization from Crowd and getting struck at that point and logging out my crowd app. I am not sure how to proceed as not getting any error log detail on crowd or jira. Would be help me here? Please let me know if you require more detail. 

Also i am getting invalid url error Error_in_jira_Assertion Consumer Service URL.PNGwhile adding "Assertion Consumer Service URL" as jira url in crowd sso configuration.

Hello @S Alexandre Lemaire

As of today (Crowd v3.2.3), Crowd only supports SAML for Google Apps integration, in which case it actually acts as an IdP. However Crowd's development team recently announced that they are planning to deliver general SAML support in Crowd in the near future. No release date so far but they are definitely working on it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Service Management

Jira Service Management Documentation Opportunities

Hello everyone, Hope everyone is safe! A few months ago we posted an article sharing all the new articles and documentation that we, the AMER Jira Service Management team created. As mentioned ...

313 views 0 9
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you