Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Crowd be used as an LDAP wrapper? and CAS/LDAP server?

Brian Mills May 9, 2012

I have a couple of applications including JIRA, GreenHopper, Fisheye and Crucible, as well as a source control server system.

I believe I can use CROWD to wrap 2-3 LDAP AD domains pulling some (but not all) users from each domain for authentication for the atlassian applications.

2 questions:

- Can the users who can access each product be controlled in CROWD?

- Can CROWD also provide LDAP or CAS server to the other non atlassian applications so that I have one app providing users to all my SDLC tools? (the user base is essentially the same and it would be nice to control access in one location)

1 answer

0 votes
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2012

Crowd does authentication, not so much authorisation. By that I mean, you can control which applications are allowed to use crowd, in order to authenticate users, but that is just the first step. Basically Crowd is telling the application that, yes, this user is authenticated.

But then it is up to each individual application to control their own authorisation aspects based on groups/users etc.. to their respective permissions.

Crowd can be used by non Atlassian apps if the applications are able to be 'crowdified'. There are various third party extensions available. e.g. Alfresco to Crowd, Hudson to Crowd etc.. Also, any spring security web stack can have crowd functionality fairly easily added.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events