i use csf on my server and get email lfd on server2.xxxxxx.com: Suspicious File Alert

TV Clipz August 14, 2018

i use csf on my server and get emails every hour or less saying lfd on server2.xxxxxx.com: Suspicious File Alert

Time:   Tue Aug 14 17:43:00 2018 -0500
File:   /tmp/snappy-1.1.0.1-54deb2c7-ea57-4e5b-907e-5e04b216997f-libsnappyjava.so
Reason: Linux Binary
Owner:  confluence:confluence (1003:1005)
Action: No action taken

also another one 

Time:   Tue Aug 14 17:42:59 2018 -0500
File:   /tmp/liblz4-java1107978496114223354.so
Reason: Linux Binary
Owner:  confluence:confluence (1003:1005)
Action: No action taken

why are they suspicious is this an issue can I delete those files in /tmp or even all the files in /tmp folder ?

this is a fresh install of confluence latest build from 2 days ago 8-11-2018

do these files need to exec: 

or can i add a command in csf .Ignore process to stop the emails ?

if these files need to be in /tmp folder how can I avoid this headache of all the emails please

thanks for your help

3 answers

0 votes
TV Clipz August 15, 2018
Lol you.must be a Dr .I'm guessing. I should have my head examined .for CSF .
So your saying those files belong there ?
File: /tmp/snappy-1.1.0.1-54deb2c7-ea57-4e5b-907e-5e04b216997f-libsnappyjava.so
File: /tmp/liblz4-java1107978496114223354.so

In /var/tmp 
Maybe that should of been my question in the first place .
Thanks for your answer if I'm reading it correctly. 
( stop sending out these incorrect reports) .
Spiro
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2018

Heh, I just read a lot of scientific stuff, acronyms everywhere in that.

Two things about those files

• Yes, if Confluence put them there, then they're there for a good reason.
  • But, I'd expect Confluence to use its own working space, not /tmp.  I've only ever seen Confluence put graph files in /tmp, after I told it to use it for generating stuff.  But that was Confluence 5.  I suspect it's more likely to be Synchrony doing it (the bundled, but independent service that handles collaborative editing in Confluence 6+), which I'm less sure what its normal behaviour would be.

I'd try disabling the collaborative editing for a while to confirm if it's Synchrony or not (you can do it in the ui)

TV Clipz August 15, 2018

I disabled collaborative editing and I'm not getting any messages any longer.. thanks .Not a 100% solution in the overall but did 100% solve my email issues. :) Thanks again .

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2018

This is a question for CSF, whatever that is (Cerebrospinal fluid is the first random acronym I recognised).

I am guessing it is some form of virus or security scan software that is throwing false positives about the confluence installation and you need to configure it to stop sending out these incorrect reports (I'd question why it's getting it wrong first, and look at something a bit more accurate)

TV Clipz August 15, 2018

ConfigServer Security & Firewall (csf) the correct acronym .

0 votes
TV Clipz August 14, 2018

Ok so I went to /var/tmp

And removed both of those files from there. I stopped confluence and then removed files then restarted. 

The lib file came back right away. The other snappy file came back a few minutes later. Just so you are aware.  Also I can't remove them cause confluence keep regenerating them to /var/tmp .so at that point t I'm still getting emails .anyone know how to hide these emails is CSF lfd ?? 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events