Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to adjust the size of the image according to width of screen.

Jorge
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2014

Some users have really large or small resolutions. I want that the image changes sizes according to the available space to avoid scrolling.

Is this possible?

11 answers

2 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
jing_hwa_cheok
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 14, 2014

Hi Jorge,

The Confluence attachment macro resize based on the px measure which is fixed and does not scale based on the resolution or the containing block

You can use this simple user macro that I've written. It will resize the image witdh in percent based on the containing block. This means it will resize based on the resolution of your user screen. Just put it in Confluence Admin >> User Macros.

Below is the configuration I used to create the user macro

Put the Code below into the User Macro Template:

## @param attachment:title=File name of the image attachment|type=string|desc=The name of the attachment |required=true|multiple=false
## @param pcent:title=Percentage|type=percentage|desc=The size of the image in percentage|required=true|multiple=false

<ac:image ac:width="$parampcent%"><ri:attachment ri:filename="$paramattachment" ></ac:image>

Type {image and suggestion for the macro will be shown in your macro browser.

Here's an example on how to use this macro:

Fill the first field with the attachment name and the second field with the percentage of the attachment you wish to display based on the containing block.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Jing Hwa

Bruce Henry September 26, 2019

This requires admin access to create a user macro. For an easier way that does not require macros see my answer below...

Like Peter Flynn likes this
oib February 22, 2024

Jing_hwa_cheok 's macro worked like a charm for years.
Then, with the (around) 8.7 series of Confluence, the macro stopped working.
So far i can tell that the problem is in the % character needed for sizing.

Anyway, it stopped working and I have no work around.

4 votes
Answer accepted
kjtester March 26, 2020

Just using

!untitled.gif|height=100%,width=100%!

and it works 

Julie MacKenzie September 15, 2020

oh man...I was trying everthing and this fixed it...

ac:height="100%" ac:width="100%"

Thanks

Like heather.meadows likes this
LaurieC June 2, 2021

Question @kjtester @Julie MacKenzie  -Can you clarify where I am putting this coding? Directly on the Confluence page?

I have Confluence for Data Center and when I use the !, I can pick the image, but then I put in the |height=100%,width=100%! and it just shows up as text on the screen.

Thanks!

Julie MacKenzie June 2, 2021

go to the source editor on the wiki..its far right corner next to search..click on the <>

LaurieC June 2, 2021

Hmmm... I don't have it. Looks like I need to install the Confluence Source Editor app? But I only see it for Server. Is that right @Julie MacKenzie ?

Julie MacKenzie June 2, 2021

I have no idea..we already have the entire wiki set up ..so not sure the framework that was installed.  but I assume yes..as that what the page is

LaurieC June 2, 2021

Ok. Thanks. I got it to work by clicking Ctrl+Shift+D to get the wiki editor to come up. I can't edit it once I've entered it on the page, but for now it gets me what I need. Thanks for your quick response @Julie MacKenzie

3 votes
Kyle Peters November 18, 2019

With the new editor, we appear to have lost the ability to edit image size. Anyone know how to do this now?

Vinh Thai November 21, 2019

don't think we can do that anymore, very annoying, all the image uploaded in Confluence, Bitbucket are displayed in zoomed giant size ...

Even if I try to resize the image before upload, Confluence/Bitbucket would just be so eager to zoom them up.

Like # people like this
Dave Ingram October 15, 2020

It's a PAIN. Wide shallow images now occupy a HUGE square section of the page. POOR uX for the new editor - Atlassian really should have solved this before dumping the new editor on us 

Like # people like this
3 votes

The easiest way to do this is to go into the Source Editor (Edit, then click the little "<>" in the upper right) and change the default ac:height="xxx" to ac:width="xx%"

For example:

Change

<ac:link>
<ri:page ri:content-title="Squadron Art" ri:space-key="disneyid"/>
<ac:link-body>
<ac:image ac:align="center" ac:alt="Ecliptic Evaders' Squadron patch with rebel insignia agaist a background of stylized planets" ac:height="250">
<ri:attachment ri:filename="ecliptic_evaders.png">
</ri:attachment>
</ac:image>
</ac:link-body>
</ac:link>

to

<ac:link>
<ac:link-body>
<ac:image ac:align="center" ac:alt="Ecliptic Evaders' Squadron patch with rebel insignia agaist a background of stylized planets" ac:width="75%">
<ri:attachment ri:filename="ecliptic_evaders.png">
</ri:attachment>
</ac:image>
</ac:link-body>
</ac:link>

This can all be done without needing to have admin access to create a user macro.

Paul Coada November 8, 2019

This isn't quite true, because it assumes you have installed the Source Editor, which requires admin access to do. It also only works on Confluence Server.

RWilburn March 16, 2021

Thank you for posting! This works great for me. However, when I close the HTML editor and return to the WYSIWYG editor, the image is HUGE! When I publish or view it, the image looks fine. But in the editor, it is huge and very distracting.

Have you encountered this issue?

Thanks!

Tom Williams July 20, 2021

Works perfectly for banners on 100% width, thanks!

2 votes
Cesar Robles October 6, 2015

We found out that images were not adjusting to browser window size because they were justified in center (as text). Keeping justification to the left did the trick: they respond to window size. smile

Vikram Bakshi July 24, 2017

Hi,

Can you please share the code for left justification?

Thanks.

Like Sayangi Toko (Galenica) likes this
Allen Chun September 5, 2018

Thanks Cesar, this solves my problem.
for Vikram It's not a code. It's just an alignment on text

vikram April 26, 2020

hi

Like andora29 likes this
1 vote
Carl van der Merwe December 3, 2019

As a temporary workaround (assuming no admin access), try restructure your content to allow for placing the image in a grid with more than 1 column, this will greatly reduce the size of the image.

Eric Stilan February 10, 2020

this is such a regression - its basically going back to creating tables in HTML layout - ugh

Like # people like this
0 votes
fiona_lebel January 9, 2020

Hi, 

Is it possible to do this for the text into a section ?

In fact, i wanted to fix my text in 2 lines. But when I zoom my page bigger, my text is written on 3 lines. I want to keep de 2 lines format.

Best regards.

Thank you

0 votes
Deleted user August 22, 2016

It would be helpful to be able to enter a percentage width instead of just a pixel width in the following toolbar:

image2016-8-22 18:3:29.png

I am getting various scrollbars inside my page due to images extending beyond the available screen area.

You can actually already do this. See my answer below...

0 votes
Susanna Moore December 21, 2014

Agree, you can use CSS to adjust image size. You can get the screen size from the DOM using screen.width and screen.height. Then you can write some JS to load or replace with the desired image or adjust the height/width attributes on the image (which would scale it, but doesn't always look great).

0 votes
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2014

You could use CSS media queries, or you could use Javascript to iterate through the images on the page and adjust the size depending on the viewport width. It looks like Confluence keeps two versions of images you attach ... the original and a thumbnail. Looks like the only difference in the url to the image is the "attachments" vs "thumbnails" folder (ex. /download/attachments/... vs. /download/thumbnails/...). When you use the image sizing buttons in the editor the smallest two(small & medium) use the thumbnail version of the image and the other two(large & original) use the attachments version of the image. So, if you use Javascript you might want to consider swapping out the image if you resize it smaller ... not for bandwidth purposes as you have already downloaded the image but rather for display quality. Although even that might not be a big deal as all the newer browsers will do image interpolation when downsizing rather than just pixel resizing. But if your user base uses IE < 9 then you might still want to swap out the image with the thumbnail if you drasticly reduce the size as the image quality might look bad when you resize the original down.

0 votes
Mick Davidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 14, 2014

Jorge,

If you click on the image in Edit mode, you should see a number of options that allow you to re-size the image.

There is a set of three squares that make the image smaller or bigger when you click them.

At the beginning of the options there is a field showing how many pixels the graphic currently is. You can click in there and enter another figure.

Note that while you can edit that figure, the graphic will not always be able to re-size to the figure you enter. I've no idea why it does this, but that's my experience.

Cheers.

jhonwills72
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 16, 2024

Adapting image sizes based on screen resolutions is key for user experience. It ensures accessibility of Wwe 2k14 and prevents unnecessary scrolling. Responsive design is definitely the way to go for accommodating diverse user preferences.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events