Where is the new installer for Confluence?

Brendan Patterson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2011

During the Atlassian Summit 2011 Keynote Day Two there was a demonstration of the new JIRA installer and I thought mentioned one also for Confluence even though in beta.

Does anyone have a pointer to the new Confluence installer?

I'm managing around eight Confluence instances right now (aside from JIRA and Crowd instances) so this exciting announcement spoke to me :)

thanks!

6 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
CharlesA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2011

The short answer is Coming Soon™

It's pretty common, when we develop something that is going to be deployed across multiple products, to pick a single product as a guinea pig. This allows us to focus on getting the feature "right" without also having to worry about a smorgasbord of compatibility and portability issues, and the release schedules of a dozen different teams.

For a variety of reasons, JIRA got to be the first product to benefit from the work of the installer team. The new installer for Confluence is currently under development (and the Confluence team got to see a demo of the latest prototype just last Friday), but we don't yet have a date for getting it into the hands of customers.

As you can imagine, installers are something we have to be very careful about letting out into the wild due to the catastrophic things they can do if they go wrong.

Brendan Patterson
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2011
Thanks Charles! That makes perfect sense and is totally fine. What Scott mentioned regarding the status of a Confluence installer at this time was just open to a bit of interpretation so really appreciate the clarification. Atlassian's committment and continual investment to these sorts of core admin / less flashy yet essential features is unparalleled. Keep up the exceptional work!
1 vote
Wendell Keuneman June 13, 2011

Hi Brendan. I'd like to re-iterate Charles' comment and add that we are providing the install and upgrade features incrementally as we progress toward Confluence 4.0.

Please continue to the check the release notes in the Confluence EAP downloads. We are currently working on the new Confluence install routine for both Linux and Windows and this should be available within the next 4-6 weeks. Next will be an upgradeable version of the same packages and several other improvements.

0 votes
SarahA
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 19, 2011

Hallo all

The Confluence 4.0 Beta2 installers are available, for Linux and Windows:

http://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/DevReleaseDownloads.jspa

It's still a *beta* release, but looking good. :)

0 votes
Matt
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 8, 2011

The first cut of the new installer for was made available with the latest Confluence 4.0 EAP release. See: http://blogs.atlassian.com/confluence/2011/08/try-new-guided-installer-confluence-wiki.html

0 votes
Brendan Patterson
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2011
Hmmm. Actually I believe those are the "Evaluation" Installers - not for production. These new installers are supposed to be good to go for production as well. Here is the JIRA version of the sneak peak: http://blogs.atlassian.com/developer/2011/04/sneak_preview_jira_44_linux_installer.html It's possible these won't be available till Confluence 4.0 but I wanted to check.
0 votes
jdavidson June 9, 2011
It looks like they are available for Windows and Mac installs, but not Linux, yet - exactly what I'm interested in, too! http://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/ConfluenceDownloadCenter.jspa

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events