Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I find the Page Layout button when creating a Blog post in Confluence?

Leeza November September 13, 2018

I am creating a new Blog post within Confluence and need some assistance in how to find the _Page Layout / Add Section_ function. 

I have checked the documentation online and there are all instructions as from the _Page layout_ option going forward, but I don't even see that button on my current _Create Blog post_ page. 

8 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 15, 2018

Hi there,

It appears that you have been transitioned to the new Confluence editor as described in our post, Confluence Editing Improvements.

We're making these changes incrementally, and just like when you're renovating a house, you might temporarily lose the use of a room feature as we repaint rewrite it. Features currently under renovation include:

• Meeting notes blueprint customization
  • Find and replace
  • Change messages when publishing
  • Notify watchers toggle
  • Inline macro browser
  • Explicit image sizing
  • Indentation
  • Layouts
  • Text alignment options
  • Anchors
  • Some keyboard shortcuts

See below for more information and workarounds.

At this time, there's no workaround for the unavailable feature. You can join in our discussion and submit your feedback directly to the developers via your instance:

Tell us what you think

Send us your thoughts via the Feedback button, which appears on the bottom right of your Confluence page while you're editing.

shows the feedback button in the bottom right of the page

Include as much detail as possible to help us understand how these changes are affecting you. We read every customer comment, even when we can't respond to all of them. 

Thank you again for your feedback and if you notice anything else that seems missing or you believe might be a bug, please feel free to raise a request directly with our Cloud support team and they can have a look at your instance and give you a hand.

Regards,

Shannon

Michael_Whitaker November 7, 2018

Any word on when the page layout button will return?

Like chris_thomas likes this
Jozua Haumann January 13, 2019

Thanks for the explanation on why I can't see the Page Layout button.  Now, please let me know how to get off the "Improvement Plan".

Thanks in advance!

Like # people like this
Henry Cho March 27, 2019

Hi, does anyone have an update as to when the page layout button will return?

Thanks

Like chris_thomas likes this
philoye
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 11, 2019

We have added support for this, look for "Columns" under the + menu. You can also type `/columns`.

We are also looking to add this to the toolbar itself soon.

Chris Dikes October 13, 2019

Columns is not the same as sections. When will you be returning the sections feature that was removed?

Like # people like this
Cheryl J February 19, 2021

Without page layouts and sections, how do I create content that uses a 'full' column? My current choices seem limited to two columns or more.  Also, another useful and needed feature within page layout was to create a new section (with however many columns) and move it where it is needed.  Am I missing how to do that with the 'new' Confluence editor?

Like Kaindl, Benjamin likes this
Kaindl, Benjamin November 9, 2022

@Shannon S  The Section-Layout feature was removed four years ago and still not recovered, am I right?

Please bring it back

0 votes
Answer accepted
EvgenS September 30, 2018

I can't find page layout button either and it seems it has been recently removed from the tool bar for some unknown reason.

If I edit my old blog post, page layout button is there in the tool bar! But when I create a new blog post it has absolutely another set of buttons without page layout button!

Why?

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
November 8, 2018

Hi EvgenS,

If you're on Cloud, the top answer above explains why you're not seeing the layout button.

As described in our post, Confluence Editing Improvements.

We're making these changes incrementally, and just like when you're renovating a house, you might temporarily lose the use of a room feature as we repaint rewrite it. Features currently under renovation include:

• Meeting notes blueprint customization
  • Find and replace
  • Change messages when publishing
  • Notify watchers toggle
  • Inline macro browser
  • Explicit image sizing
  • Indentation
  • Layouts
  • Text alignment options
  • Anchors
  • Some keyboard shortcuts

I encourage you as well to join in our discussion and submit any other feedback you have regarding the new editor directly to the developers via your instance. You can so so by selecting your avatar in the bottom left-hand corner and selecting the option to send feedback.

Regards,

Shannon

Like EvgenS likes this
Jozua Haumann March 21, 2019

Shannon, building on your analogy, if you come along and disconnect my plumbing without letting me know it when it will start and when it will end, or even why it needs to happen, well then I’m not going to be very happy about it...

Like # people like this
philoye
Atlassian Team
May 5, 2019

As I wrote above, we have added support for layouts, look for "Columns" under the + menu. You can also type `/columns`.

1 vote
Adrian Dobrea May 4, 2019

Well , after being off Atlassian products for more than a year because of the Trello admin issues, I was just considering getting back to using Atlassian, when I noticed the Layout option missing in the menu.

Reading the answers above (Atlassian simply deciding to remove core functionality with no way to rollback) just puts me off using Atlassian again, and this time for good.

1 vote
Bea March 21, 2019

You need to click on this button: it opens the layout toolbar
layout.png

Ryan Cabanas March 21, 2019

Right.  Unfortunately, new pages often don't have this button, or the same set of toolbars in your screenshot.  It's basically confirmed to be broken while Confluence makes changes, which is pretty unacceptable.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Ryan Cabanas March 4, 2019

I found a workaround for this.  (I did not find this workaround mentioned elsewhere.  My apologies if this is not original.)

If you create your own simple custom template, the "Page Layout" button is present there.  Therefore, if you create Pages off of this template going forward, you should have access to the "Page Layout" button for that Page.

I did this workaround with a Space template.

Vince Deno April 8, 2019

This is a great workaround.  I'm all for making editor improvements but removing fundamental layout feature without offering rationale is concerning.

philoye
Atlassian Team
April 11, 2019

We have added support for this in the new editor, look for "Columns" under the + menu. You can also type `/columns`.

0 votes
Deleted user July 4, 2019

Well, I am using the section and column macros to solve this issue but the layout editing was way more comfortable. 

0 votes
Sheldon Lee Wen December 12, 2018

Guys, removing features while people have to work is not a great solution. Is there a way I can go back to the old Confluence Editor?

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
December 13, 2018

Sheldon,

I advise you to contact the support team directly so they can work with you on this. I do not believe there is a way to revert at this time, but they may have a solution for you. 

Regards,

Shannon

0 votes
shaefferpatrick September 13, 2018

it's on your tool bar after align right and before insert files.

Leeza November September 14, 2018

HI @shaefferpatrick

Thanks for the response, however, it is not visible on my toolbar: please see below:

Create blog.PNG

shaefferpatrick September 14, 2018

@Leeza November that's very strange. I was thinking it could be under blueprint but I didn't see where you could delete items. Could it be under the + drop down? I'm sorry couldn't be any help

Leeza November September 17, 2018

Thanks for attempting to ass@shaefferpatrick - It's proving to be harder than I thought to create the blogpost within Confluence... I have created it in Publisher and PDF'd it, but am now having trouble importing the PDF - from what I have seen on the community pages, the PDF Macro is the way to go, but that also does not seem to be working. Any pro-tips you can send my way on this? 

Dan Chuparkoff October 14, 2018

This is also missing for me on new pages.  When I edit my old pages, it's there, but new pages seem to restrict the page format to the 'modern?' centered content with wide margins. I tweeted to the team for help here... https://twitter.com/Chuparkoff/status/1051493452603695104 

Leeza November October 15, 2018

Thanks @Dan Chuparkoff - please keep me posted if the team replies with a useful response. I ended up posting the blog without the columns, which is not the end of the world, but is quite limiting in terms of formatting and general feel of the post. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events