Hello there,

here's the problem.

We have a page that is updated every day. This page contains macros:

• few Sections with Columns macros
  • Color macros
  • Link page macros
  • Expand macros
  • Excerpt include macros

There are 7 excerpt include macros. When one of them is changed to point to another page and I click on the save button, the page saving takes up to 30! minutes. Even whole Confluence is inaccessible for few minutes (sometimes).

This also occures when "bigger change" is applied on page - adding few new lines, adding new macro.

However, when "small change" is applied - adding empty lines, removing empty lines - the page is saved in normal time - immediately.

Some additional info:

• Page history has approximately 900 items (Maybe this is issue?)
  • Page has 15 attachement - not more than 5MB in total
  • Reindexing did not help (even reindexing from scratch)
  • Occures in Confluence version 5.4.3 (Occured even before upgrade in version 4.3.5)

Do you have any ideas or suggestions what might be wrong?

Thanks!

Samuel

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Samuel Titka May 10, 2015

It was probably caused by unlucky combination of macros "Section", "Column" and "Excerpt Include". I have modified and reorganized page structure, removed unnecessary macros and now the page is saving normally.

1 vote
Adrien Ragot 2
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2014

I don't have an answer for 30min delays, but for those who have 2-3 minutes response times, I usually advise to check:

• How many page watchers do you have?
  • How many people watch the space?

Transforming the XML of the page to HTML takes a bit of time. One email is compiled for each watcher, and in total it's quite a lot of work (bug CONF-21846).

For 30 minutes, though, it has to be something more than watchers. As a side note, emails are put in a mail queue so the speed of your SMTP server doesn't impact your performance.

Samuel Titka April 15, 2014

Hi Adrien,

I have checked watchers, there are 3 page watchers and none space watchers. So I think this is not the case. However, I will remove those three watchers and see if it helps somehow.

Do you think, that RSS feeds from this space can cause this problem?

Thanks.

Adrien Ragot 2
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2014

I don't think RSS feeds could be a problem since I think they're built when you request them, not when you save the page.

I cannot advise further as this is clearly not my area. Just in case I would look whether there are pending queries at the database level during those 30 minutes, otherwise let's wait and see if some other people can provide more suggestions ;)

Sergey Svishchev
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2014

Turn on profiler (https://confluence.atlassian.com/x/GxED) and see what shows up in the profiling trace.

And vote for CONF-21846 (which is about watchers slowing down page saves) :-)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events