Update an existing Confluence page with a form without using a plugin

Daniel Baron March 8, 2018

I know it's possible to create a page from a form using the built-in 'Create from the template' macro but are my options for updating existing pages from a form limited to paying for a plugin, like ConfiForms or Frevvo? Thanks for any help.

1 answer

1 vote
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2018

I cannot think of anything built in to update a page with a form.

On that note it doesn't look to me like Frevvo could update a Confluence page. Rather it looks to me like that add-on is simply embedding their existing platform into Confluence. ConfiForms is a bit different in that it is built more on the Confluence model of macros and has functionality specifically for creating and updating pages. We use ConfiForms pretty extensively in our organization. There seems to be a bit of overlap in the add-ons, but I think they serve somewhat different purposes.

Thanks for the feedback, yeah you're right that ConfiForms seems like the way to go. But I was actually also exploring using Javascript in a Custom macro or HTML macro, but I'm not sure which one is more appropriate.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2018

If you are are proficient in Javascript and using Confluence's REST API then you could totally do it that way as well. ConfiForms abstracts that a bit so that a non-developer can accomplish some of these kinds a things that typically only a developer could do.

Any idea what the base REST API url is? Probably something like

https://<company name>.atlassian.net/wiki

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 8, 2018

Are you on the cloud offering? If you are then ConfiForms is not an option as it is only available for self hosted installs. The below link is documentation for the cloud REST API.

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/confluence/rest/

I actually don't know if we use confluence server or cloud. Probably cloud because access is through a <company name>.atlassian.net url. Apparently wufoo is available on cloud though, do you have any knowledge about it?

Taking it back, we're actually on Confluence Server

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 8, 2018

Ok, well Confiforms is available for server so if you decided to go that route it is possible. Also, here is the documentation for the server REST API.

https://developer.atlassian.com/server/confluence/confluence-server-rest-api

Okay, thanks for your help Davin.

Daniel Baron March 9, 2018

Also, do you know how to get the REST API url for Confluence Server?

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 9, 2018

If you have the server version you should get the REST API Browser. It is a free add-on by Atlassian and makes a section on Confluence Administration for exploring the REST API. The URL would be ...

http(s)://{your confluence root}/rest/api/{endpoint}

Daniel Baron March 9, 2018

Hmm got it. And it sounds like I'll need to have an authentication value included in the API call, right?

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 9, 2018

If you are posting then yes. Doing a get may or may not depending upon space permissions.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events