Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Apply Page Restrictions

Moyukh Mukherjee January 27, 2021

Hi,

I have admin access to our org's Confluence space. But lately, I haven't been able to apply page restrictions. Every time I try to apply restrictions, I get a message - There was an error submitting the page restrictions. Please try again later.

Please help.

2 answers

0 votes
WW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2023

Idk if it's related to this or not: CONFSERVER-75497

But for me, I was having the same problem on multiple pages. I was also not able to move the pages between spaces even though I'm in the all powerful confluence-administrators group, and I had all permissions in the two spaces. I was able to move other pages between the spaces, though.

I was trying to remove users from page restrictions through the View page mode red lock icon, luckily, so I was able to fix it by doing it this way:

• Go to the Page Information screen of the page with restrictions
  • Click the gray open lock icon next to the user(s) you want to remove

Then I was able to move the pages and change the page restrictions from View mode red lock icon of the pages.

Maybe by removing one or more users, even if there aren't a lot of users in the restrictions, it triggers something that frees up whatever is blocking the changes??

I chalk it up to quirky Confluence. If you've been using Confluence as long as I have, you learn to find creative ways to make it behave.

0 votes
Clark Everson
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2021

Hi @Moyukh Mukherjee

Admin access isn't what controls this. Each permission is independent of one another. Do you have the permissions for "Restrictions"? If not you won't be able to apply it.

If this occurs in a certain space, I would also see if you can restrict pages in your personal space or if you get the same error. 

From there you can troubleshoot if it's Space or Instance specific and troubleshoot accordingly with your Confluence Admin or Atlassian as needed. 

Also have another user with the restrictions try it and see if it's user specific. If it's just you try an incognito or private browser window.

There are many potential causes but I don't know if you have enough data yet to pinpoint it.

Best,
Clark

Moyukh Mukherjee January 27, 2021

Hi Clark,

Thanks for your response. 

I have been managing my org's Confluence space since the past 3 years. I have been able to restrict and grant access to multiple individuals, but that function has been very flaky sine the past few days. Not just that, almost everything else as well. The reordering of pages doesn't go through, the edits don't go through, and the server is excruciatingly slow. And it's not just me, but many others globally. 

I checked in my org's communication channel, and there was a communication about the Central (ALM) Confluence production environment experiencing issues. 

So it's definitely Confluence. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events