Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch from LDAP to internal directory in Confluence.

Kenrick Bramble September 10, 2015

Hi,

I have inherited a Confluence server from a former admin and the server is currently configured for LDAP authentication and it is working, but I need to make changes to the user directory configuration (ldap values).

I have two questions:

1.  How do I switch back from LDAP authentication to using the internal directory?  I tried changing the directory order but I still could not login with an internal account.

2. Is there a way to edit the LDAP user directory while actively logged into it?

EDIT: 

Thank you for the answer Taha.

I'd like to make clear that I do not wish to move users between directories.

As for what I really need to do, your "step 1" is exactly the problem I am having.  I have tried moving the internal directory to the top, then I created a user account and attempted to log in with it, but whenever someone goes to our wiki page, we immediately get redirected to a CAS login page.  When I try to login with the internal user on this page, I cannot login.  Is there another step I need to take?

1 answer

0 votes
Taha Khanzada
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2015

Hi Kenrick,

Unfortunately in Confluence you cannot move users between directory through UI unlike JIRA.

Feature request for this, do vote up for this feature - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-25630

Now coming back to your questions.

• changing directory will not going to help.
  • No, you cannot edit the same directory you are login with.

Follow Below Steps for Editing LDAP Directory. 

1) Move Internal Directory to the top, then create user and grant this user admin privilege. Now since Internal directory is at top your user will be created in Internal Directory.

2) Now Login with this Internal User you should to able to EDIT LDAP user Directory. 

For Moving users from LDAP to Internal Directory you need to do it through Database

Considering taking backup first and try it in Test instance then if you are happy move to live.

I mostly followed the steps mentioned by one of the Atlassian expert in below answer and modified some queries as per my need. I have moved users from ldap directory to other ldap directory-

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/298928/migrate-users-to-new-user-directory-confluence-5.4.4

If you don't want to touch database then other approach would be to use Atlassian CLI Tool by Bob Swift

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/Migrate+Local+Group+Memberships+Between+Directories

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Taha

Kenrick Bramble September 14, 2015

Thank you for the answer Taha. I'd like to make clear that I do not wish to move users between directories. As for what I really need to do, your "step 1" is exactly the problem I am having. I have tried moving the internal directory to the top, then I created a user account and attempted to log in with it, but whenever someone goes to our wiki page, we immediately get redirected to a CAS login page. When I try to login with the internal user on this page, I cannot login. Is there another step I need to take?

Taha Khanzada
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2015

Ok, you need to bypass that redirector temporarily and get in to confluence with your internal account. You could use something like this for Login <confluence-url>/login.action or Login through URL itself <confluence-url>/dashboard.action?os_username=<username>&os_password=<password> may be you can even try other approaches like accessing those URL where there is no redirector set.

Kenrick Bramble September 17, 2015

I was finally able to login as an internal user by reverting to my default web.xml and seraph-config.xml file. Using login.action did not work and I could not figure out which specific settings in the web or seraph file to comment out, so I ended up going back to default and that worked. Thanks for your time. Hopefully this helps someone else.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events