It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Short link with "_" or "-": overview not generated

Hello,

I've a very strange problem (I'm using Confluence Cloud).

I use the short links quite much. However, sometimes, the short link is generated with a "_" or "-" at its end. 

The link works (when I click on it, the page opens), but the link overview is not generated. Not in the editor itself, and not on the page when I display it.

Here is an example in the screenshot below:

• Three of those short links only contain letters: their overview is generated normally
  • Four links ends with "_" or "-": no overview is generated

Seems like some sort of regex problem ? Or is it a setting which I have to modify on my Confluence instance ?

Thank you very much!

Image1.png

1 answer

0 votes
Diego Atlassian Team Apr 16, 2020

Hello @Pixel Solutions !
As I understand, the Page Title preview does not work when the Tiny Link to a page has either _ or - characters at the end of the Tiny Link.

I tried to replicate this behaviour based on the description given but was unable to. None of my site pages had Tiny Links with a _ or - at the end.

However, I noticed that your Tiny Links that are affected by the issue had the / at the end. None of my instances Tiny Links has a / at the end.

Taking this details in consideration, I added a / at the end of my Tiny Links the behavior is present. If I do add a / at the end of my Regular page URLs, the behavior is not present.

With this in mind, I would like to confirm a few things with you:

1. Are your Tiny Links being natively generated with the / character at the end?
  2. What happens if you remove the / character from the Tiny Link you pasted?
  3. What is the naming pattern of the affected pages?
  4. Is there any main difference in naming and/or content between the affected pages and the ones that are not affected?

I believe that this behavior might be connected to how Tiny Links are generated. If we look here:

We see that / is part of the Tiny Link being generated. Inserting a / that does not exist within the original Tiny Link might lead Confluence into a dead end where it can not recognize that link as being part of the pages.

Let us hear from you, @Pixel Solutions . Looking forward to your reply.

Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

1) Yes, they apparently are. The links I provide are the ones generated in the "Short link" field of the "Informations about the page" page:

Capture.PNG

However, it seems that the "/" is present only for the pages which have the problem (in other words for pages with the "_" or "-" at the end).

For the pages which don't have the problem, the short url is generated without the "/" at the end.

2) It's the same. No title overview is generated in both cases (in the editor as well as when displaying the page):

Capture.PNG

Notice the italic in the first case only...

3) No visible difference in naming pattern... Example of two pages:

"ECH 401 - As a consumer, I want to authenticate inside the application"

=> URL of this page is OK

"ECH 301 - As a consumer, I want to create a user account"

=> URL is not OK (ends with "_/")

NB: All those pages are located at the same place in the Confluence pages hierarchy.

4) Contents of all of those pages is, currently, exactly the same, verbatim: only some titles and a bit "Lorem Ipsum" text.

IMHO, it really seems to be a Confluence bug:

• Either an invalid detection RegEx (if we suppose that having an "_" or "-" at the end of a short URL is OK and should not crash the overview)
  • Either in the short url generation itself (if we suppose that having an "_" or "-" at the end of a short URL is not a desirable behaviour)

Many thanks :-) 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

Lessons and Learnings: Six Months of Working Remote [Discussion]

Hey there, folks! For most of us, the past six months- yes, you read that right- have been a journey. More people than ever before have pivoted to working remotely, and navigating being on-scre...

8,514 views 6 6
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you