Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Search on multiple Labels

What is the difference between [in the general Search bar]:

labelText:Label1 AND labelText:Label2

and

labelText:"Label1 AND Label2"

The answers I get in my spaces are slightly different

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Gladstone Community Leader Sep 13, 2022

@Rudy Desmet Welcome to the Atlassian Community. Can you post a screenshot or elaborate on what you are seeing in the search bar so the community can assist?

The standard syntax to use in order to do selections on multiple labels in the Search-bar is :
labelText:Label1 AND labelText:Label2
In my search to find an easier way to combine selections on multiple labels, I noticed that
labelText:"Label1 AND Label2"
also works.

As the volume of documents is high, and the number of labels to combine is often 4-5, I can not ask my users to continuously use the first type of rule.

The second would do.

But I noticed a slight difference.

By testing these search options I have following questions:

1. Concerning the search on an individual Label:
    What is the difference in using “labelText:Label1” in the standard search field and searching for  “Label1” in the Search Filter “Label”?
    Searching on “home” with the first syntax gave me 38 results, with the second I’ve got 31 results. With the first, it also gives results containing “home” in a part of the document label (in this case documents containing the label “content-home-page”.
    Searching on “claims” (with an ‘s’ at the end) with the first syntax gave me 35 results, with the second I’ve got 34 results. With the first, it also gives a result containing “claim” as a label (without the ‘s’ at the end).
    Any reason why?

Concerning a search on multiple Labels:
Is “labelText:"Label1 AND Label2" a correct alternative for “labelText:Label1 AND labelText:Label2” ? Or is there a difference also?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

Watch 4 Confluence apps compete for Best App Demo in September's Appy Hours

Calling all collaborators! Appy Hours on the Atlassian Community is a monthly event where 4 Partner and app vendor presenters go head-to-head with 5-minute demos for the title of Best App Demo. I...

588 views 0 13
Read article

Atlassian Community Events