RE: File management. Can anyone share their view of best practice?

Hugh Bathurst January 28, 2015

We have 000's of files we want to upload to our (being installed) version of Confluence on our server. We'd like to have some control over the display page (sorted by name, headings etc.) BUT we'd like to manage volume file attachments as quickly & effectively as possible.

Does anyone know of an efficient way to hide columns on the Attachments page (i.e. Hide Size, Creator, Creation Date, Labels, Comment so our users see only the list of attached files (which they can sort A-Z or Z-A I notice.))?

Summary: We'd like to link volume files quickly but still have control over how the user sees (& access) them. Thanks in advance for any thoughts. HB

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alejandro Conde Carrillo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2015

The latest version of Confluence has improved file management. Please read Working with files for more information.

Regarding the customization you mention, they can probably be achieved by CSS, but I have not tried this myself.

Hugh Bathurst February 12, 2015

Many thanks for chipping in Alex. Will explore. HB

2 votes
Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2015

Generally, storing a large amount of files in Confluence as attachments is not a good idea - Confluence is a wiki, not a CDN or a file share.

I would take another approach - to store the files "somewhere else" (fileserver) and have a custom macro that shows the files in Confluence. This macro could then have all the features for access audits, and etc

Hugh Bathurst February 12, 2015

Many thanks Sash. Will open a discussion with my IT lead to explore. From a knowledge sharing perspective, we're trying to stay as close as we can to 'fast, reliable & all there' but if it is fast (my target is 3 Mb's in 3 secs) & reliable - it's worth at least a prototype. - HB

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events