Page too slow/unusable due to being overloaded with diagrams, what are better practices/alternative?

Christophe Kurkdjian April 16, 2024

We're using confluence to document information as a wiki for our some internal processes. These are split in 12 First Level Themes, and each first level has about 10 Second Level sub-themes. Each sub-theme focuses on one common issue and the resolution path of it - this set up allows users to find keywords of issues and easily find solution steps. So we have a wiki page which lists a lot of information and we've chosen to describe resolution steps for each sub-theme as draw.io diagrams. With 120 diagrams our page is lagging and unusable. 

I'm looking to find a better solution where these diagrams are maybe not embedded in the page but stored else where as a link/URL? is it possible?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 17, 2024

@Christophe Kurkdjian Am I correct that you have a single Confluence page with all of this information on it?

My first question then is what is your reason for having this all on 1 page, rather than breaking it up into a page for each First Level Theme?

If you want users to be able to easily search all of the pages, you could put a parent page over the 12 pages with a Live Search macro on it to allow them to search in just that part of the tree.

Christophe Kurkdjian April 21, 2024

@Barbara Szczesniak thanks for your reply!

Yes I have one single page with all info - the reason was that for users using ctrl + F they could find any info needed in that page. Which is why we couldn't break it in several pages - but with your suggestion it seems that there is an alternative! 

My question now is are there ways to optimise the search bar as currently when I try to search for information in child pages of a parent page, in the quick search it doesn't display words which are in the child pages unless it's a word in the name of the child page. 

e.g. I know I have the word bluetooth in the child pages, but in the quick search bar it doesn't suggest any page, unless I click enter and  the main search bar opens then it finds the text.

Below are the live search settings I have with all the child pages having the same label - is there a way that the quick search shows also the text in the child pages?Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 22.02.49.png

Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2024

@Christophe Kurkdjian If you change the Search result format from space name to page excerpt (and maybe try removing the label?), do you get a better result?

I guess they've changed the parameter names for this macro without updating this page (https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/insert-the-livesearch-macro/), but it doesn't say anything about only searching in the page titles.

Christophe Kurkdjian April 22, 2024

@Barbara Szczesniak Yes I get a better outcome! thanks for your help!

Like Barbara Szczesniak likes this
0 votes
David Benson _draw_io_
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 17, 2024
0 votes
Kristian Klima
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2024

Hi @Christophe Kurkdjian 

You could try an iframe. It works with Figma diagrams.

Christophe Kurkdjian April 16, 2024

Hmm I see, but then I need to translate all my diagrams from draw.io to figma diagrams?

Kristian Klima
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2024

@Christophe Kurkdjian - I used Figma as an example of how you can do all the heavy lifting in the diagram tool and only display the outcome.

Our figmas are designed in Figma tool, not in the Confluence. We embed them in Confluence, from their native native Figma environment, using an iframe.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events