It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Oops you have made a malformed request

Hello Community,

I am posting here because Atlassian support has been utterly useless with assisting us with this problem.  

When one of my users tries to log in, they consistently get:

Oops, you've made a malformed request.

If you came here from a link we sent you, please contact support.

Moreover, when the user tried to contact support -- guess what -- they require him to log in.  I logged in an filed a support request and just got frustrated with the generic "canned" responses that did not solve our problem.  I have given up on support after a dozen back and forths, where they did not even come close to understanding the problem we are experiencing.

In my research, it seems that people have experienced this error before, but none of their forum posts have a resolution.   Has anyone on this forum run into this, and if so, how did you resolve it?

Any help from the community is appreciated.

Thanks,

BP

12 answers

I've experienced the same problem today. After a login attempt I was redirected to "Oops, you've made a malformed request".

In my case, it was just failing in Chrome, but it worked in incognito mode.

I discovered that it was related to this extension and disabling it fixed the problem: https://poperblocker.com/

Alex

This worked for me, I had the same extension. However, this only happens when I log into my other account and come back to this account or vice versa. I disabled it and it works now.

Just like me. The problem started when I switched between my two accounts.

Same thing for me. If you have a popup blocker, this can be the reason. Disable the plugin, log in and you can re-enable it. 

Thanks mate. Working for me now.

Will K I'm New Here Jul 05, 2019

Signed in to give you an upvote. I didn't even know I had poperblocker installed before I checked my extensions.

Popup blocker for chrome was the culprit for me as well, Many thanks.

Considering this issue is quite widespread, Atlassian should acknowledge this issue and inform users to disable browser extensions to fix "malformed request" issues.

Perfect, I was having the same problem and couldn't figure it out.  Changed my Atlassian password today and couldn't get back in, only in Chrome.  Disabled pop up blocker and I was able to log in.

Thanks, that solved my problem (Y)

I added id.atlassian.com to the whitelist of the extension https://poperblocker.com/ and it worked.

thanks! I didn't know poperblocker was causing this. 

0 votes
Nic Brough Community Leader Nov 17, 2017

What is the url they are using? 

What is the url in the browser when you get the error message (which may not be the one they typed in or clicked on)?

Have you tried a different browser?

Has that user tried a different machine?

Hi Nic,

The URL is the password recovery url they send via email.  The user's password stops working arbitrarily.

Tried multiple browsers, F-Fox, Chrome, Vivaldi -- same results.

Tried multiple machines, Mac and Linux -- same results.

BP

BTW - Thank you for your response!

0 votes
Bridget Community Manager Nov 17, 2017

@Babak Pasdar [Administrator], just a few followup questions!

What product is the user using, and is it server/cloud/data center?

Do you perhaps have a proxy that may be mangling the request?

Looking forward to your answer! 

0 votes
Nic Brough Community Leader Nov 17, 2017

Why does the password stop working? 

Also, could you give us the url?  Copy and paste it in full from the email, but get rid of the first part  (e.g. if it's https://aplaceyougo.com/jira/password/reset then we don't need the aplaceyougo.com  bit)

Hi Bridget, I am using their cloud service.  No proxy.  We have tried on multiple networks and multiple locations.

BP

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I hope this can help someone. We recently ran into a similar issue with the "Oops, you've made a malformed request" and found the issue to be with Internet Explorer (IE 11) where someone had added the *.atlassian.net domains to IE's Trusted Sites. Once we removed them, the issue went away.

0 votes

This started happening recently to me in Chrome. I noticed that I could use other browsers or Chrome's incognito mode to get around it, but that was a hassle. Alex's mention of a Chrome extension led me to try disabling my extensions one-by-one, and it turned out to be a uTorrent extension causing the problem.

To disable a Chrome extension, simply right-click it, choose "Manage Extensions," then turn the slider to off.

0 votes

ave given up on support after a dozen back and forths, where they did not even come close to understanding the problem we are experiencing.

turn off the add blocker and try again

Atlassian support is infuriatingly frustrating to deal with. They never solved my problem. I just gave up on them. We are exploring other products for two reasons 1) We pay too much for this level of incompetent customer support which has never solved a single one of the issues we have had. And 2) the UX on the product is out of the twilight zone. It seems their UX people are much more focused on being hip than having a usable product. 

Across the board I get more complaints about Confluence and Jira than any other technology we use. 

Thank you friends. I was facing same issue and it resolved by disabling the Pop blocker extension in chrome browser.

Disabled Pop up blocker for Chrome™ - Poper Blocker and it worked

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Confluence

Confluence Server & Data Center 7.0 is here!

Hello Community 👋🏼 I’m Makisa, a product manager on Confluence Server and Data Center. Confluence Server & Data Center 7.0, our latest platform release, is now available and we wanted to shar...

157 views 0 11
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you