Only create Childpages (Restrictions)

Osterwalder Martin November 27, 2017

Hello Together

We want give our Partners a Page (Not a Space), in which they can create their own "child"-pages for our customers. But without permission to create general pages or modify our pages.

Background:

We want have A special User can only Create and Edit Pages which are Child of one Page.
For our Partner-Developers we want give access to create their own Knowledge Articles, but without access to change our Articles.

For this we have a space called "Servicedesk" (Knowledgebase of our Jira Servicedesk) which is visible to all users.

In this Space i want add one "Parent"-Page for each Partner or Software-Name.
And for this Page we want give Access to modify and create Childpages of this to our partners.
But each other Page they can not Edit / Create.

My solution:

We give Access to Create and Modify Pages on this Space.

But set the Page-Restrictions for each Page (Only View and Edit only for us)
For the Page which the Partner should have access, we add him as "Edit" too)

But this is a little bit complex, because we have over 200 pages, which we have to set the restrictions first :)
And for each new "normal" page we have to add the same restrictions.

Question:

Maybe someone know a better solution to give Create/modify Access to Page with Childrens?
Or maybe know a similiar solution like this?

Thanks 

Martin

1 answer

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 27, 2017

Hi Martin,

we do exactly the same in one of our spaces, just with viewing restrictions instead of editing restrictions. I don't know any other solution for your question. You can't add a permission on a single page, only for the whole space. And then you have to restrict anything, the user is not allowed to see.

Maybe you should think about different spaces? Be aware that editing page restrictions do not set restrictions for adding a page with the restricted page as parent! So, I'm not quite sure, if your solution really works reliably. 

Osterwalder Martin November 27, 2017

Hi Thomas

First, thanks for your answer.

I don't know if i understand it correctly.
If you have a Restricted Page and add a Child into this Page, this will be not restricted too? (Do not inherit Settings from Parent)?
Or only if you restrict edit access?

On a other space i created a Page with View and Edit Restriction only to Admins. 
When i add a Page, other one can not edit and view the childs or?
I think this case i have tested but i don't know really :).

About your question:

I can create a Knowledgebase for our Partners, but then i think one for each Partner. But Jira have to access this, if customer want to create tickets.
It's possible to add multiple Spaces as Knowledgebase into Jira Servicedesk? i don't know, but this will be required if i make multiple spaces.

Thanks

Martin

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 27, 2017

@Osterwalder Martin, viewing restrictions will be inherited by child pages, editing restrictions not.

Of course, if you set a viewing restrictions, editing child pages is also prohibited because the user can't even see the page.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 27, 2017

Unfortunately, I can't answer your servicedesk question. We don't use the servicedesk application here.

Maybe you could ask your question regarding different knowledge bases in the servicedesk section of the community.

Balázs Szakál _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 1, 2018

Hi Martin.

One idea that might help you to create 2 root pages (folders) in your space: Public Pages, Restricted Pages. Or 1 view restricted root page with lot of children + many public pages. View permission is inherited by children, but edit does not. So be careful with edit restrictions. 

About Confluence Knowledge Bases you can add 1 space (as i know), but there you can restrict the suggestions, based on confluence page labels.

If you do any of my suggestions, and your data is confidental, i suggest you to trial the Ultimate Permission Manager add-on, which can help you to discover that who can view/edit which spaces/pages :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events