Chitra Patil November 29, 2012

Hi folks,

I am using the 4.3 editor--I have list as follows:

1. Numbered line 1
  2. numbered line 2
  3. . .............
  4. ..
  • This is a bullet list
  1. See? it is happening in the comment editor as well. The numbering resets to 1. I want 5 here, not 1. There is no option of continue numbering or reset to 1 as in Word.
  2. Any solutions?

Thanks is advance.

6 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
John Masson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2012

Yep, so to do this, you'd hit enter after line 4 which would give you 5. Hit 'tab' which will indent and turn this into 'a', then hit the bullet toolbar button (or keyboard shortcut command+shift+b) and it will become a bullet.

If you hit enter again you'll get another bullet, just press shift+tab and it will outdent and become '5', allowing you to continue in the numbered list.

It will look something like:

Chitra Patil December 3, 2012

John,

Thanks for the tip--it worked for nested bullet lists; but didn't work when there is a graphic or code list inbetween. Any suggestions?

Like # people like this
John Gooch October 23, 2017

Is there an update to this issue? I need to insert illustration in a set of instructions  so the end user knows what the screen should look like. 

Like # people like this
6 votes
Patrick Smith April 24, 2017

This is an old issue but still one that pops up in searches as the Editor still is unfriendly to use in these numbering scenarios.  Shift+Enter helps prevent the numbering from going awry but once it does it is still a PITA to fix.  Clicking the Outdent button can help in those situations.

Regarding pasting code blocks or images I've found the least frustrating way to deal with these is to:

- paste those somewhere outside of the numbered lists

- get your list ordered/numbered as desired

- shift enter to create a new space

- then move the code block/image into that blank space.  

The numbering doesn't reset if you do that.

Matt Landrum February 12, 2019

This is the least frustating way I have found as well, unfortunately,.

John M May 9, 2019

That really worked! I had a macro in the way. I just dragged it out, fixed the numbering and dragged it back in. :)

StayAtHome April 17, 2020

This is an awesome solution! :-)

But this should be must-feature for Confluence out-of-the-box, IMHO. 

Dixelle Sequeira September 16, 2020

While this workaround does the job on Confluence Server, it unfortunately doesn't work on Confluence Cloud.

I have also tried modifying the XHTML-based code directly using the Source Editor for Confluence (Cloud) plugin and it results in conversion errors.

-----------------------

BrokenNumberedLists.PNGconversionIssues.PNG

Like # people like this
1 vote
Marcus Lambert April 1, 2013

Yes I agree this is a total PITA.

1 vote

Hi John,

1. Thanks for the reply.
  2. It worked, but the bullet is indented.
    • I need the bullet to be at the same level as the numbered list. This line needs to start at the same level as 2. How do I do that?
  3. No idea why such a simple task is so complex.
  4. Does Atlassian have an open ticket to fix this?

thanks again,

Chitra

0 votes
Abhay Chokshi March 21, 2013

Press shift+enter after the bullet point if you are looking to add a code snippet or graphic.. Once you press shift+enter, the cursor moves to the next line and you can add the required thing. After that, press enter and the next bullet point appears.

You can use the indentation feature again to convert the feature to numbered item and it will be a continued one.

Chitra Patil March 21, 2013

Thanks Abhay. John's suggestion worked well. I have been using that process--although I am puzzled why Confluence is not working to fix this major flaw in the editor.

Like Dixelle Sequeira likes this
0 votes

Hmmm....I am running into another issue. I have a code table in between the numbered list-- this solution doesn't seem to work there. Anyone succeeded with tables inbetween numbered lists?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events