New look and navigation coming to the server version as well?

Hanna P. Korhonen August 10, 2017

Hi all,

there's this fancy new look and navigation (user interface) for the cloud version of Confluence.

Can you help me out as I was not able to find the information when (and in which version) the new look is coming available into the server version?

And what is Atlassian's philosophy on the development of the cloud vs. the server versions? Will the development of the server version follow the development of the cloud version? Will all the features on the cloud be later available on the server?

Many thanks! :)

Br, Hanna

5 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads _unmonitored account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2017

Hi Hanna!

A lot of this information was announced at the 2017 Summit in Europe, but I haven't seen it officially documented online yet. Here's the gists:

1. Atlassian committed to "deciding" if the new look and feel (Atlassian Design Guidelines v3 or ADG3) would come to server "by the end of the year" - this was just a deadline for making the decision, not a timeline for actual implementation.
  2. Features will be generally released on Cloud first and make it to Server and Data Center once they've been refined. However, not every feature released on Cloud will make it in to Server from this point on. They have decided to split into Cloud, Server, and Data Center product lines to better serve the people in those particular applications. For instance, lots of improvements were made in the JIRA Server install/upgrade process that don't have any impact on Cloud.

Hope that helps!

Hanna P. Korhonen August 10, 2017

Great, thank you Daniel!

3 votes
Joshua Berk April 11, 2018

Any word on whether the new UI is going to hit Jira Server?  It's so outdated and cloud looks slick!

3 votes
Martin Sauter August 18, 2017

@Hanna P. KorhonenPersonally I am very happy that the fancy new UI of Confluence Cloud has NOT been rolled out to Confluence Server yet. There are some major drawbacks to it, and we have just decided not to upgrade our Confluence Server instance anymore to avoid this UI redesign.

For details please see here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-discussions/What-just-happened-to-Confluence-Cloud/td-p/622890#M301

1 vote
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2018

May 2018 Update

Jira 7.10 (currently in Early Access) is the first release to bring changes to Server - color scheme, typography, icons. You can take a look at the screenshots here for a preview. Based on the cadence of previous Jira releases, you can probably expect to see Jira 7.10 available sometime mid-June.

Longer term there will be additional changes - check out the official Atlassian response here.

Sneak peak from the blog post:

4005bff331629781dcab3c220fb14454defc91ea

Rinke Brands May 17, 2018

Nice! Looks great, not completely the same as cloud right? Thanks.

Rising Star
Rising Star
May 17, 2018

Right - for instance the left sidebar navigation is definitely not the same as Cloud. From what I've read so far, there are not plans to majorly change the navigation in Server. But with the giant disclaimer that things are subject to change and this is only the first upcoming release with some of the ADG3 updates.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2018

There are a LOT of people who really don't want the Cloud navigation to go anywhere near server.  I'm not so strongly opinionated, although I would say the Cloud navigation is nowhere near ready to go out to users yet.

Jozef G July 29, 2018

I prefer the menu on top of my screen as it is easier and faster to work with. 

0 votes
Rinke Brands May 16, 2018

Any news on this subject?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events