Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving a page to a space which already contained a page of that name - where is the original?

Richard Wilkinson August 14, 2011

Hello,

I'm reorganising our Confluence site, and moved several "sections" from other spaces into the same new space. Each "section" was a parent page with child pages on several different levels.

Unfortunately, at the time I didn't realise that some of these sections contained child pages with the same name as a page in another section. Since they were previously in different spaces, that hadn't mattered.

Rather than warning me, it seems Confluence has decided (in each of several cases) to replace the page I moved first - the original page - with a copy / image of the page I moved later. The page shows up in both positions in the page tree, but clicking either of them takes me to the page that was moved later.

Where have the original pages gone? They don't show up in the page edit history as a change. They're not in the trash, and aren't hiding under "root" level in either the original space or the new one.

Have they simply been irretrievably overwritten? I'd rather not have to try to restore these from backup if at all possible.

I'm going to raise a support issue too, as I think that there should at least have been a warning about this when trying to move the pages, but wondered if anybody else had encountered this and knew what to do about it.

Thanks,

Richard

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mark Hrynczak
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 15, 2011

An easier workaround to get the original page back:

Rename the one showing to a different name. You can then access the original page using the original URL.

Note that there is a bug report for this issue at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-17598

Hope that helps,

Mark

Richard Wilkinson August 15, 2011

Thank you, this has worked. (I should probably have thought of it myself!)

I had also raised a bug report / support issue for this (CSP-67025) but have resolved it as a duplicate.

0 votes
Richard Yale
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2011

I would suggest going into your database and doing a SQL query select and try to find a page with the title and see what shows up. It may have indeed overwritten the old pages, but I don't know for sure. The old pages could still be in the database and if so you can change the title to something else through a SQL Update query and that will solve your problem.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events