Migration / Upgrade Step Advice

James Iorio
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 1, 2024

Hi,

I am looking for advice on how to get from Server to Datacenter.

I currently have a two node setup with Confluence on a Win2019 vm and

its DB at SQL Server 13 (2016) on a separate vm.

I got all new licenses for DC and 5 or so Plugins that we use.

Currently at V8.1.3 and want to figure out best approach...

Do I put in all my licenses, then upgrade the DB...  which might include a change to the DB server... and then perform a Confluence Upgrade?

I am attempting to have as little as possible downtime.

I guess my first question is... Can I put in all my licenses (including switching from Server to DC) at the current version without any issues?  From there, Upgrading to a newer version of confluence will include a DB change in order to get to a supported version of the DB.   

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Jay

2 answers

2 votes
Chris Usiak
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 1, 2024

Hi @James Iorio

Updating from Server to Datacenter is as easy as just switching the licenses over to the new Datacenter licenses. After doing so, it will unlock all the Datacenter features.

The two applications are pretty much the same with the only difference being Server has features locked/hidden when you dont have a Datacenter license.

Atlassian suggests changing the license keys for your apps first, then your Confluence license.

1 vote
Mohamed Riza _ServiceRocket_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2024

Hi @James Iorio 

As Chris mentioned, with regards to licensing, you may directly put the DC license on your current Jira Server version and this should unlock all the DC features on the instance. 

With regards to upgrading the instance, if you are upgrading the instance to a Confluence version, where your current DB is not supported, then you should check the Support Platforms pages and see which DB version is supported on both your current version and also the version you are planning to upgrade too. In this case, you can then first upgrade the DB to that particular version and the upgrade the Confluence instance. 

Hope that clarifies. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events