Migrating from 3.x to 5.x wiki

John Pfotzer July 15, 2013

What is the reccommended process to migrate/copy/move sites from the 3.x version to the 5.x verson of confluence?

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Guilherme Nedel [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 15, 2013

Hi John, there should be an icon like a "check mark" √ it would turn green when you click it.

1 vote

Guilherme, Again you give a me a thorough answer and easy to understand. I appreciate your answers. Thanks for taking the time to thoughtfully respond. I am at the conclusion now that the only way I can get pages from 3.x is to copy and paste each one individually to our new upgraded 5.x site. I am new to the company that employeed me. They had no central wiki person and just zoomed up to 5.x. I am sure this is not the first time companies jump up multiple versions to get the new latest, greatest version.

Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 15, 2013

Hello John, actually, you don't have to go through the labor work of copy pasting, if you follow along the steps in the Upgrade Documentation you will basically point your downloaded and unarchieved directory from Confluence to the app home folder, run the executable file and the upgrade will take place.

(!) Always mind to backup the current application directories beforehand, as a backup plan.

1 vote
Atlassian Team
July 15, 2013

Hello John,

Actually what Jobin may have suggested is the path for upgrade, the fragmented upgrade technique is aimed to isolate eventual issues to a know version, in case that ocurrs during the upgrade process.

Assuming you have a valid license, there is no need to purchase additional licenses, just navigate to this page and you will be able to download the previous application releases.

Other than this you may refer to the Upgrade Documentation with detailed steps regarding the upgrade procedure.

Is there a tool or process to bring work over from the old version to our new 5.0 version other than copy and paste each page?

There is the above process, however this is not something that can be done in an automated fashion at the present time, I did find this feature request in case you would like to review, though I don't think this would be released anytime soon.

Lastly, if you are going to migrate Confluence from another server, you may need to refer to this doc too.

0 votes
Atlassian Team
July 15, 2013

Hi John, if you found the answer helpful, please mark it as accepted. Thanks

0 votes

I have to be honest here. This answer makes no sense. Our company has been using v 3.5 for multiple years. This summer we bought 5.0. We do not want to buy multiple versions just to migrate our work from v. 3.x. Is there a tool or process to bring work over from the old version to our new 5.0 version other than copy and paste each page? Our wiki versions are on different servers.

Guilherme, how do I mark this as accept? thanks

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2013

3.x >>3.5.16 >> 4.3.7 >> 5.x I guess.

If you are already on 3.5, skip the first path.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events