Migrate old Confluence server to Cloud with old version migration assistant

Yi Meng March 28, 2024

Hi Community,

I have a Confluence server on a old version (5.10.7) and we decide to migrate it to Cloud. I managed to find a compatible version of Confluence migration assistant (3.3.13). I can install the assistant and do all the preparation. 

However, it shows the 'Cloud migration assistant is out of date' block error during the migration. 

I tried to install the latest version but apparently it's not compatible with my Confluence. 

Confluence cloud migration error.PNG

This is supposed to be a simple migration since I only need to migrate certain space with attachments to my cloud. Can someone advise how to deal with it? Thanks a lot. 

Yi

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Shawn Doyle - ReleaseTEAM
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2024

If you want to use the migration assistant you need to be on a more recent version of confluence, which is what the error is telling you.

I would recommend doing the upgrade, and then using the assistant.

However, since you have a simple migration, you may be better served just exporting your space and importing it.  There are a lot of pros, cons, gotcha and concerns on which way to go.  If you go this route look at the different exports types and what they do and do not include.

Yi Meng March 28, 2024

Thanks @Shawn Doyle - ReleaseTEAM . My target is quite simple that I want to migrate one space including all its attachments to cloud. Other team members will pick whatever they want from the cloud instance. 

If I choose to export on my Confluence server, I have roughly 3GB attachments. Do you think XML export/import is a good way to do it? Thanks. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Shawn Doyle - ReleaseTEAM
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2024

XML is the one that is going to get you a more complete backup and be able to import it into the cloud.

This page has all the nitty gritty details.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/export-content-to-word-pdf-html-and-xml-139475.html

Yi Meng March 28, 2024

Thanks

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events