Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

May I use "excerpt include" inside "page properties" ?

BC Peng July 9, 2021

Hi sir/madam,

I created three levels of pages to try out the macro "page properties report."

1. There is only one page in the 1st level, which contains the macro "page properties report".
  2. There are a few pages in the 2nd level, which contain the macro "page properties" to be reported in the 1st-level page.
  3. One of the 2nd-level page use "excerpt include" to include the info from the 3rd-level page.

The issue is that the contents using "excerpt include" is shown in the 2nd-level page, but not in the "page property report" in the 1st level. On the other hand the contents written in the 2nd-level directly (not "excerpt include" from other page) are shown in the "page property report" correctly. I also tried "page include" to replace "excerpt include" in the 2nd-level page to include the 3rd-level page, and the problem remains.

May I use "excerpt include" inside "page properties" so the contents are shown in the "page properties report"?

Thanks for your help.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Katerina Kovriga {Stiltsoft}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2021

Hi @BC Peng ,

We can suggest using our app - Table Filter and Charts for Confluence and its Table Excerpt/Table Excerpt Include macros.

Here is your 3rd level page:

Fri 3-1.png

The "CCC - Excerpt" information will be reused further.

Here is your 2nd level page with a table where "CCC - Excerpt" is reused:

Fri 3-2.png

Fri 3-3.png

Here is your 1st level page with the summary report combined by the Table Excerpt Include macro:

Fri 3-4.png

As you can see, the "CCC - Excerpt" from the 3rd level page is still visible.

BC Peng July 9, 2021

Hi @Katerina Kovriga {Stiltsoft} 

Thanks for the detailed example. That seems what I am trying to do, but I am not sure installing additional plug-in is allowed by our IT team or not. Let me further talk with them.

BC Peng July 10, 2021

Hi @Katerina Kovriga {Stiltsoft} 

I have a few questions about evaluating the plugin. Could you help? Thanks for the clarifications.

1. There seems many features in the plugin. On the other hand I am creating pages to summarize the data and create something like a dashboard to show the overall status. Do you recommend some other features so that I can get the whole picture of the plugin symmetrically and quickly?
  2. I am a normal user of the server. Is it possible to try out the plugin without the help from our IT team ? Involving the IT team may takes longer for me to know the effectiveness of the solution.
  3. There are many people in the company I am working with, but only a few will access my pages. How is the pricing? And is that a life-time license or should we pay the maintenance fee, say, every year?
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2021

Hi @BC Peng , all the plugins should be installed by your Confluence administrator, you won't have access to these settings as a regular user.

What concerns pricing, the up-to-date information is in the Pricing tab onto the app's listing. But you may regard further switching from Server to Data Center or Cloud (I suppose you've heard about the EOL of the Server hosting). And for all the options the app's tier should be equal to your Confluence tier (for example, if you have 100 users in Confluence, you can't purchase the app only for ten).

But you can always try the app for free and check if it really suits your needs. Its main functions are table filtration, data aggregation and table calculations, the Excerpt macro is just one of its features.

Like BC Peng likes this
BC Peng July 10, 2021

Hi @Katerina Kovriga {Stiltsoft} ,

In your example both the 2nd- and 1st-level pages use "table excerpt include." On the other hand can "table excerpt include" work with the built-in "page properties"? Or can I replace "page properties report" in the 1st-level page with "table excerpt include" which can search all my pages based on the specific label? (not simply based on, e.g. the title of the page.)

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2021

The Table Excerpt Include macro collect only the contents that is wrapped into the Table Excerpt macro. 

The search for the Excerpts may be led by labels (similar to the Page Properties Report), on the current page, on the specific page and its children, on the specific page and its descendants.

The link for the macro description is in the first reply.

0 votes
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2021

Hey @BC Peng

and welcome to the community! 

The page properties report only includes content from, you guessed right, the page properties table. So I don't know for sure what you're including on the 2nd-level page but unless it's a part of the page properties, it won't make it into the report. So try what you're suggesting but it might be that it doesn't work as well. This kind of cascade can work but it heavily depends on the type of content/information/macro

You really have to try and maybe find a workaround then. So keep us posted. :)

Best, Max

BC Peng July 9, 2021

Hi @Max Foerster - K15t ,

It seems more trial-and-error are required if I understand correctly :) Meanwhile I also captured my screen to show what I did in more detail. Any advice is more than welcome. Thanks for the helps.

This is the results of “page properties report” shown in the 1st-level page. “Score” of “SetA” is missing.

image002.png

This is the 2nd-level page “SetA”, in which “Score” is “excerpt include” from the 3rd-level page “CaseA-A”.

image004.png

In the 3rd-level page “CaseA-A”, “Score” is equal to 0. However this is not shown in “page properties report” in the 1st-level page.

image006.png

On the other hand in another 2nd-level page “SetB”, “Score” value is correctly shown in the 1st-level page.

image012.png

Like Dima Chuk likes this
Dima Chuk September 6, 2023

Hi @BC Peng Did you solve this challenge? As I'm trying to make the same scenario working :( 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events