Losing work in Confluence due to apparent timeouts

Doug Brunner May 6, 2012

I've lost work several times this evening while using Confluence.

The first few times, when I hit the save button, the page reverted to the pre-edit state, and I was told there was a previously edited and unsaved version. Selecting the option to continue editing that allowed me to recover some of the work. This problem has occurred a few times before this evening. Nobody else is editing the wiki, so it's not a case of edit conflicts.

The last time, when I hit save, I got a prompt to login again. Once I did that, I saw that all my changes had been dropped! I'm starting to think I need to use OpenOffice to do my editing work and then import pages into Confluence, because I'm spending about half my time retyping changes that were lost.

5 answers

2 votes
Jakub Pierzchała
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 19, 2012

Hi Doug

If you go to your wiki profile, to the Drafts tab you should see the documents you were working on as they autosave.

You can try to use this link: https://[yoursitename].atlassian.net/wiki/users/viewmydrafts.action

0 votes
Doug Brunner January 6, 2013

Hi,

Sorry I've been very bad about keeping up with this forum. We actually have an OnDemand instance so I don't have control of or access to server configuration, unless I've missed that capability. However, I think they may have fixed this in new releases; I haven't had the problem show up in a while. I'll keep an eye on it and mark this answer accepted if it doesn't happen again in another few months.

0 votes
John Bottiglieri August 22, 2012

I'm wondering if this is something on our company infrastructure side. I have some ideas of how to rule out. I'll contribute any findings.

0 votes
John Masson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2012

Hi Doug,

Hopefully Jakub's pointing you to where Confluence saves Drafts will be a help immediately but I'd also recommend you raise a ticket with http://support.atlassian.com as it sounds like quite odd behaviour that may be session related (given the last part about you suddently not being logged in) so there may be some tweaking needed on your server.

In my testing of dropping network connectivity and trying to save a page I simply get a browser connection error, I hit 'back' and my editing session is there, which lets me resetablish connectivity then save the page. This is why I suspect there is something else going on.

Thanks,
John

Ronald de Vries August 15, 2012

I am experiencing the same problem as of 4.2*. Had it in 4.2.8 and still have it in 4.2.11. Very nasty, we've lost a lot of editing work. Have had this right from when the 4.2* versions came out and we updated. Can anoyone point to the support ticket, this is one I want vote on a follow, it's costing us a lot of grief with the user community and we're getting tool credibility problems now. Cannot find a previous post I made anymore in answers. However, changing the session time out settings as all seem to respond as the answer is not the solution, we still get knocked off the editor way before any of those timeout settings are reached.

0 votes
John Bottiglieri July 18, 2012

Did you ever get an answer to this problem? I'm experiencing the same thing.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events