Link

Tamara March 18, 2019

Hi!

I don't understand how to create a link between one word in a page and another one in a different page. :/ 

I have long documents and i don't want that readers waste time, so i'd like to insert this link, but i did it only once. I don't understand where is my fault. 

(I'm sorry, i'm italian and my english is terrible)

21 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tamara March 19, 2019

Hi!

My boss installed Chrome yesterday! finally! okay I'll try everything and thanks you all! You are very kind (:

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2019

That sounds good - keep us informed what worked out :)

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2019

That's a hell of a solution 😂 I will accept that answer right away. Been using Chrome myself. Glad to hear that this solved it for you. Stay active in the community if you have further questions, Tamara! :)

Like Fabienne Gerhard likes this
Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 19, 2019

giphy

Like # people like this
Tamara March 19, 2019

This Gif is perfect for my situation! I mean, IE? Seriously? in 2019? 

I needed Chrome because Graphity didn't work with IE aaaand now I hope that everything is okay. 

I'll write you back when i'll try!

1 vote
Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2019

Great idea from @Max Foerster - K15t - try it on the similar page :)

What could also help - try another browser ;) according to your screenshots you're using IE - not always your best friend 

1 vote
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2019

I'm not sure what could be the issue here I used different anchors today across spaces (and also within tables) and they just work. So one thing you should do is test your anchor on the exact same page with a link. To see it if scrolls to the height of the macro element or not. It that's not working at least we shouldn't worry about space keys and page names. Then maybe looking at the content embedding the anchor macro (anything fancy?) or just deleting it and trying again ("Have you tried turning it off and on again?") could help. Sometimes Confluence is moody ;) 

1 vote
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2019

Could you maybe post a screenshot of the link you're trying to configure and a screenshot of the page with the anchor in Edit mode? Just so we can maybe spot a small mistake. :)

1 vote
Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2019

Hi @Tamara I had some problems with anchors, too

Check out that:

• you're using Spacekey and : when navigating to a different space
    spacekey:page name#anchor name
  • Pay attention that there is NO space between before or after : and #
  • There musst be a space in your page or anchor name if there is one in the name (write it the totally correct way)

Maybe you wanna try to link to a headline instead of an anchor (works the same way) - does this work?

0 votes
JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2019

Hi Tamara,

another valid & best practice approach would be to split a  long page in several sub-pages. The leads to faster loading times, users who can better recognize the content.

You might want to read:

https://www.k15t.com/blog/2018/08/break-it-up-5-reasons-to-avoid-long-pages-in-confluence

Citation:

f pages are too long, and readers need to keep scrolling to assimilate all the content, they’ll soon lose the motivation to keep reading. Lengthy pages also hinder the commenting process – it’s very difficult to leave a comment on a phrase that appears 10,000 pixels away. In addition, large content assets cannot be reused properly.

Best regards

JP

0 votes
Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2019

Ok - please try if linking to Heading would work - maybe something with the anchor went wrong

Try: 

On Glossario 2.0 go to Fornitore ad impatto diretto mediamente critico (IDMC) and format it as a Headline 

Than go to P-QM006 and set the link on 2. NUOVO FORNITORE IDMC E IDNC to

QM:GLOSSARIO 2.0#Fornitore ad impatto diretto mediamente critico (IDMC)

-> Does this work? 

Please check if P-QM006 and GLOSSARIO are in the same space (TEAM QM) - if it is like this please set the link on 2. NUOVO FORNITORE IDMC E IDNC to

GLOSSARIO 2.0#Fornitore ad impatto diretto mediamente critico (IDMC)

Let's work on one working link and then try to link it backward as well

0 votes
Tamara March 18, 2019

Okay, I tried aaaand it didn't work. It shows me Glossario, but it didn't go to the correct word. I triend 1.PNG

0 votes
Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2019

Yep - that's correct.

So your link from P-QM006 to Glossario would be

QM:GLOSSARIO 2.0#a

---------------------

I'm a little bit irritated that you are having a site P-QM06 and P-QM006. 

---------------------

Please remember when they are both in the same space Team QM (with spacekey QM) you don't need a space key and the link from Glossario to P-QM006 would be 

P-QM006#a

0 votes
Tamara March 18, 2019

My spacekey is QM?2.PNG

0 votes
Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2019

You will find the correct spacekey in browser adress when you are not in editing mode.

https:/yoursystem/display/SPACEKEY/PAGENAME 

image.png

0 votes
Tamara March 18, 2019

Okay I try!

P-QM06 is a page that i've created and honestly i don't know if it's the spacekey. 

I have two anchor because i need both: a link from p-qm06 to glossario and a link to glossario from p-qm06! 

0 votes
Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2019

Hi @Tamara - it seems like TEAMQM is not the correct spacekey and P-QM06 is not the page name

According to your Screenshots I would say:

1. Go on site P-QM06 - Team QM - Confluence - check if there is the Anchor named 'a'
  2. Go to site Glossario 2.0... where you finde Fornitore... and delete the anchor you are having there (you don't need it there - just an anchor where you wanna link to)
  3. Mark Fornitore ad.... on the Glossario site you are on and use the link (or Strg + K)
  4. Write the correct spacekey for the space P-QM06 (maybe this is the spacekey?!) than a colon than the full page name (with spaces and everything) and #a

Could you make two screenshots of the sites when you are not in editing mode? I think the main problem is the spacekey is wrong and that you are using anchors on both sites.

0 votes
Tamara March 18, 2019

I want to link "Fornitore....(IDMC)" to "Nuovo fornitore..:" in the other page. I have long documents, so i need this.

(In this place no one knows how to use Confluence, so i can do everything on my own and now i'm blocked)1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG

0 votes
Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2019

Hi @Tamara - did you check out that there is no space between the spacekey and the colon? and of course no space between colon and page name

Another think might be - did you change the anchor name? 

Or what might also be a problem - did you check out that all lower and uppercases are used correctly.

Maybe you wanna just copy the not working advanced link here or make a screen shot like @Max Foerster - K15t did. 

0 votes
Tamara March 18, 2019

Yep, one minute (:

0 votes
Tamara March 18, 2019

Hi @Fabienne Gerhard thanks for your help!

I read the anchor's guide every time, but it didn't work.

I create a perfect link only once and now i think it was a miracle!

If i use spacekey and : , the confluence tab tell me that the option doesn't exist :/ 

0 votes
Tamara March 18, 2019

It navigate me to the top of the page despite of my attempt to linking a specific word. 

0 votes
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2019

Hi Tamara,

but the page you're linking to loads around the right area of your anchor? Or does it navigate you to the top of the page?

0 votes
Tamara March 18, 2019

Yep, i did it, but after that, the link show me the page, not the word! I always use anchor, but every time the link open only the document. I don't understand why it doesn't link with the anchor.

0 votes
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2019

Hi Tamara,

have you made yourself familiar yet with the "Anchor" macro? Insert it anywhere on a page, give it a name and afterward you can reference it the Advanced section when creating a link:

link.png

Best, Max

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events