Link to a Wiki Attachment

Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2014

How do you insert a link to a wiki attachment into another document?

For example, I have a link that I want to insert into excel as a reference. But, when I click on the lnk, I always get the Not permitted error. If I copy/paste the link into my browser, I can navigate to it just fine - but, not when using the link.

I expected that if I was not logged in, it would redirect to the login page and then allow me to access it. But, even though I am logged in to Confluence, I consistently get the Not Permitted error.

I'm getting the link by navigating to the attachment page, locating the attachment, selecting and using the Copy Link option from the popup menu.

Any ideas?

3 answers

0 votes
Qian Zhao July 8, 2014
0 votes
Rex Kidwell April 2, 2014

I would check your space permissions. It sounds like an authentication issue - executing the link from a document would be a new session, and the assumption would be that you are not logged in. If the space does not have anonymous view access, then they would be able to access the page or the attachment. I have a simllar issue, although my users are getting the error when clikcing oon the attachment link added via the editor's link button feature. Removing the URL parameter allows access, where with paramteres the user get "not permitted".

Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2014

So, how do you get a URL to an attachment to provide in a document if you don't allow anonymous access? (we cannot do the latter due to security issues).

0 votes
Christina Schantin [Communardo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 20, 2014

I tried this for you with confluence 4.3 and confluence 5.3 and office 2010. it works fine with firefox and internet explorer.

which browser is your default browser? do you have the same problem with links to files on other websites?

Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 20, 2014

Hi Christina,

We use office for mac 2011 and Confluence 5.1.3 and just upgraded to 5.1.4.

When I navigate to a page's Attachment page, locate the attachment and display popup menu and select Copy Link Location, then paste that into a document (whether excel, word, etc.) and then use that same link to navigate, i always get the Not Permitted error, regardless of whether I am logged in.

But, if I am logged in and paste the link back into the browser, it always downloads the document. An example URL is: https://jira.companyname.com/wiki/download/attachments/230129482/2013%2Dec%20Report.xlsx?api=v2

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events