Less expensive alternative to "Copy Page Tree" Confluence plug-in?

Andrew Fry February 1, 2018

Hello all, 
We have an efficiency issue I am trying to resolve. Every time we create a new space I have to manually copy *several* pages manually (about 50). Needless to say this is a slow and painful process!

I really, really like the "Copy Page Tree" Confluence plug-in: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.nurago.confluence.plugins.treecopy/cloud/overview

However, our IT Director says it's too expensive ($200/mo) and will not approve it. I read somewhere online that there are cheaper (or perhaps even free) alternatives? Does anyone know of one? 

We are using Confluence "Cloud." Much thanks! 

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andrew Fry May 17, 2018

I found an answer to this on Reddit:
- Export your Template Space in XML format
- Unzip the downloaded export
- Modify the entities.xml and exportDescriptor.properties files : FIND & REPLACE all occurrences of the old Space Key and Space Name with the desired Space Key and Space Name
- Still in the "entities.xml" file: FIND & REPLACE all occurrences of the space name: Implementation Team Knowledge Base (replace with new Space name)
- Save & close the two files: entities.xml & exportDescriptor.properties
- Zip the two files up (use .zip via Explorer right-click menu - do NOT use .7z!)
- Import the Space back into Confluence

**TO UPLOAD and IMPORT**
Select Settings in the Confluence sidebar
Choose Import Spaces under 'Administration' in the left-hand navigation bar
Specify your file using the Browse button
If you're using Jira Cloud, you can also specify the Jira project you'd like to link to this space.
Choose Import

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 17, 2018

We have documented a similar procedure: How to copy or rename a space in Confluence

Andrew Fry May 17, 2018

Cool, thanks @AnnWorley! :) 

Steve Rhodes
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2020

If i can add a comment about the zipping. You should be in the folder you want to zip when zipping, otherwise it will create a folder inside the zip and the importer wont be able to find the exportDescriptor.properties. I recommend using Keka on the mac, not the built in Compress... right click option.

1 vote
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 1, 2018

How about the Copy Space add-on? What we do is we have a template space and when we create a new space we just copy the template space.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2018

Another reason for using Server... "Copy page hierarchy" is in 6.0+

Andrew Fry February 2, 2018

Thank you, Nic...I am nowhere even close to a position that would have the authority to make changes on where/how we host Confluence, I'm just trying to make my help desk role less painful and more efficient. 

The 'Copy-Space' plug-in looks promising! Thank you, @Davin Studer!! 
Some of the reviews say that it does not work, but I assume support could work that out...? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 2, 2018

I know, I'm sorry.  I just really do not like the divergence in the Cloud/Server products.  I get it on the add-on side, but I don't get why Server customers miss out on Cloud improvements and why Cloud users miss out on Server improvements.

Personally, I'd take this divergence idea out round the back and put it out of our misery.  It's frustrating, annoying and a poor experience for all of us, and it has no discernable benefit to anyone.

Doug Swartz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2018

+1

0 votes
Doug Swartz
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 1, 2018

Another approach uses the Confluence CLI plugin. It includes a copyPage with descendants option. 

It costs about twice the copy page tree plugin, but has about 50 times more capability

Thanks, Doug. Unfortunately the higher ups won't even approve the $200/mo plug-in so I can't imagine them going for this. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events