Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to tag the certain versions of all pages under a given Space

Ozgur Yuksel October 22, 2011

Hi,

I am trying Confluence to see if we can use it for our product documentation. I know Confluence comes with change history support. But what I need is to mark a certain version (or current versions at a given day) of all the pages with the Product Version which is released at that day. This is more or less how we work with source code of the product as well (there we use branching for future changes). Main idea is to see what is changed between Version A of the Product and Version B.

Ozgur

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2011

One way is to update the page with an update comment that specifies the version. This shows up in the page history. People could do a diff after selecting the 2 page versions that matched the product versions they were interested in. The page update could be automated by using the Confluence Command Line Interface .

Example: confluence --action storePage --space myspacekey --title "My page" --comment "Version 1"

However, be aware the Confluence can ignore an update if it is not a change. Seems to occur even if an update comment is provided. This happens on the UI or via remote API. While I like a null update not creating a new version, I think it is a bug that an update comment provided with an update doesn't create a version :(. It seems that if the author of the change is different than the last update author, a new version will be created. You can make a significant update by adding a blank to the end of the page, but this requires something like:

confluence --action getPageSource --space myspacekey --title "My page" --file page.txt

confluence --action storePage --space myspacekey --title "My page" --comment "Version 1" --file page.txt --content2 " "

Ozgur Yuksel October 23, 2011

It is good to know we can easily add this functionality using some scripting based on our versioning and there is enough support from application side.

Thanks for the quick response.

Ozgur

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events