Integrate Confluence with chatbot

Shalini Basavapatnakeshava August 2, 2018

We have developed a chatbot in python. We need to integrate this with confluence. Is It possible?

5 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Oliver Chapple May 3, 2023

Personally, I have found the best way to integrate ChatGPT and Confluence into a Chatbot is using Landbot using Webhooks to Post using REST to Openai and using Get to retrieve titles and pages from Confluence.

My game in town is to use ChatGPT to do the smart Keyword extraction from the user's input and semantics using some prompt engineering, I interpret and extract keywords from user input like "How the hell do i change my password" where it ignores idiomatic expressions and Sends a GET request to Confluence with the keywords each delimited by a + character and by adding an asterisk to the end of each keyword so it can find titles. Using the asterisk solves word matching like the word 'forgot' to find an article title with the word 'forgotten' in it. This works well for my use case and BETA chatbot for support using our Confluence KB. The final ChatGPT Post does all the summarising of the page in Confluence so it outputs it in the most readable and digestible way to read in our Chatbot, which makes it far easier to read than the whole original article in Confluence. To do that I had to strip out the HTML first for it to parse and re-write it how i wanted.

First, you need to extract the keywords from the user input, so I use Openai to do this via a POST request, and then I send a GET request with the querystring title~{keyword1*+keyword2*} so that you get back articles using the Confluence REST API.

I next output the matching results into Buttons labelled with the article titles, so the user can pick one specific relevant page article,

then I send a GET request with the pageID using another request to Confluence again,

I pass that result using some Prompt engineering as a POST again to Openai which I prompt it to then digest and output the Confluence Page content in a format that I am happy to present it in, back to the user (summarised and listing steps to take where applicable), plus I place a button to show the full article to the user via a Modal window, as the content in the REST JSON is all HTML, so they can also see the whole page article if they want to and its all well formatted. Best of both worlds then.

So far the Landbot community reckons this is a pretty smart solution. It uses ChatGPT 3.5 turbo, and will use 4, which means there is no need for training (fine tuning and embedding), plus also it requires relatively few tokens by virtue of my using ChatGPT for what its good at - language and summarising the text in the Confluence KB article, which is exactly what I wanted and required for my end-user support use case.

0 votes
Oliver Chapple February 24, 2023

I have successfully connected Confluence to a Landbot Chatbot using Webhooks with the Confluence API.

With my solution that you can try live below, I retrieve a number of matching articles and the results form the first user text input (The question), which looks up articles in a Confluence Space with 'textinthetitle' from the first question captured as a string variable.

Then I fetch the user's selected (most relevant) article that I returned as buttons using the Dynamic Data block. The user then picks a Confluence article (title)  - from the list as buttons, and they get served that article using another Webhook that injects the successful (200) response variable as HTML, that is also fetched from Confluence and I put that variable result into a Modal to display inside the chatbot. If you goto Webdadi.com (This is maybe offline for a few weeks as we have updated our Website and are creating a new Integration for landbot to reduce page load times) and you can use the chatbot, you'll see an example if you select Need Support and say you are not having problems accessing our Software. Then just follow the knowledgebase chatbot-led route.

Chari_ Ambarish April 10, 2023

Hey Oliver, could you please tell me the procedure as to how you integrated your chatbot  to Confluence server pages?

Oliver Chapple April 10, 2023

HI Chari,

Do you have Landot, as otherwise I cannot describe the process, as it is unique to Landbot? Do you have experience with creating webhooks and javascript and JSON, as this is a must have, whether you have Landbot or not ?

Oliver

Chari_ Ambarish April 11, 2023

No, I have heard about it but haven't used it. I am a fresher and I don't have experience creating webhooks and js as well. Is there any other way?I heard that Landbot has a no code chatbot builder. I can create it but need some assistance with the integration part to the Confluence page.

Oliver Chapple April 11, 2023

You'll need a Landbot account but unless you have js and webhook experience realistically you won't be able to pull it off your own project as its not codeless. Sorry not sure how i can help you further as it would take too much time.

Oliver

Alright Oliver, Thank you for your help!

Like Oliver Chapple likes this
0 votes
Anurag Jalan July 29, 2022

Hi Shalini,

Did you managed to find solution for this? We are also looking to embed custom company chatbot in Confluence.

Hi Anurag, could you please share how to integrate personal chatbots to Confluence server if at all you find any solutions? because we are also looking to integrate one in our confluence pages.

Anurag Jalan June 21, 2023

Hi,

Actually the solution came out to be very simple. Using "Custom HTML" module in Confluence (<<confluence_base_url>>/admin/viewcustomhtml.action, we embed chatbot icon on Confluence Pages & pointed icon to a URL where chatbot is running. Along with this, some custom code snippet on how the chatbot will look & feel.

This worked actually fine for us & we have been using it since last few months.

0 votes
Bertrand Lafforgue January 13, 2020

Konverso has developed an out-of-the-box chatbot for confluence and Jira. Please check http://konverso.ai

Hey Bertrand, how do we integrate konverso bots to Confluence server pages?

Bertrand Lafforgue April 11, 2023

Dear Chari,

We have a connector to Confluence with many customers relying on this model for their chatbot. Now, we can also apply generative AI on Confluence for multiple use cases (chatbot, agent assist,..).

Best regards,

Bertrand

Alright, where can one find that connector?

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 2, 2018

Hi Shalini,

Depending on what the chatbot does, it should be possible to integrate it using the Confluence Server REST API.

Another resource for questions about developing integrations for Atlassian products is our Developer Community.

Thanks,

Ann

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events