How turn off Collaborative Editing

Jonathan Corbett January 23, 2018

We recently upgraded from Confluence 5.8 to 6.6.1 and we're having the problem that nobody can edit any pages. When clicking edit mode on any page, the user is instantly shown an error saying "This page is taking longer to load than usual" and it always times out.

From the help guides, this looks like an issue with the new Collaborative Editing feature, and the suggestion is to turn this off. In the application, however, when navigating to the Admin Section for Collaborative Editing, it just shows the error "Something went wrong. Please Try Again". This appears every 3 seconds and the page never loads.

Can anyone tell me the table and setting I need to change in the database to turn this "feature" off?

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

I just found the answer in a different post that didn't come up in my initial searches:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/How-Do-I-Disable-Collaborative-Editing-in-Confluence-6-1-3/qaq-p/583768

The bottom line is that the option to disable is no longer in the 2 places documented (General Configuration or Administration > Collaborative Editing) but is now here in the Add-ons:

Gear > Add-Ons > System > Confluence Collaborative Editor Plugin

Ahasub Chowdhury
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 22, 2021

Hi Jonathan,

I am trying to turn off Collaborative editing for our setup but unfortunately couldn't find it in the location you specified. Once I click on the gear icon I don't see Add-Ons. I found it under General configuration but there is nothing there for me to edit (attached screenshot).

Wondering if you or anyone in this forum could point me to the right direction. Thank you. 

Collaborative editing.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2021

The original question and answer were for Server Confluence, you are on Cloud, where you can not turn it off.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2018

You don't want to do this in the database, it's not as simple as you are thinking.

You should debug the "something went wrong" - what does the log say when an admin reaches that page?

Thanks for the info, we don't have time to do full debugging to get to the root of the problem, but we have multiple scrum teams across various locations and just needed to allow them to use the Wiki again so getting them working was the key

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events