How to replace text on confluence

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2014

Hi All

In my confluence 4.3, i have lot of users hardcoding links to the attachments (instead of using the attachment macro)  that are uploaded on confluence.

The problem with this is that if i change my confluence URL then all these hardcoded links will break.

What are my options to not let the links break?

• Can i do a find and replace for all such hardcoded links to attachments.
  • Do i have to update hundreds to pages manually?
  • Can i do it via database? any plugins?

Rahul

3 answers

1 vote
Stephen Gurnick
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2014

Another option for changing the base URL is to do the following:

1. Use your database back-up tools (e.g. if you use MySQL, then mysqldump) to create a dump of your Confluence database. This creates a plain text file containing the SQL to rebuild the database
  2. Use the sed command on this file to change your URLs from the old to the new. For example:

# sed -i "s/OLD-URL/NEW-URL/g" DATABASE_SQLDUMP_FILE
  3. Restore your database file

As with anything involving the database, make sure you perform a back-up that you will leave unchanged that you can restore if something goes wrong. Also, first try this out within a test environment.

From my experience though - this procedure has worked well for me and avoided having to install add-ons.

1 vote
rrudnicki
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 5, 2014

Hi Aich, 

I found this answer that seems very similar with this question. I think worth it to try. However, it is a third part plugin, so you need to install it. The plugin can be found in this link.

After you have installed the plugin, you can try this command line:

confluence --action runFromContentList --runFromPageList "\"https://confluence.in.here.com\"" --space NAME-OF-A-SPACE --common "--action modifyPage --id @pageId@ --findReplace \"https://wiki.ad.navteq.com/confluence#https://confluence.in.here.com\" --special \" #\" "

I hope it helps.

Regards, 

Renato Rudnicki

0 votes
Jonathan Simonoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 5, 2014

An option I've used for this kind of thing is to write an external script (I use Python and XML/RPC) that reads pages, finds and changes the text, and saves the pages back.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events