How to more easily copy & paste from e.g. a {code} block?

Let's say I have a {code}echo my line of code{code} block. If the reader wants to copy and paste the 'mycode' text from the wiki page then they must do it with the mouse etc. Very fiddly if doing often. Is there a way to provide some sort of icon which when pressed simply copies the contents of the code block into the copy and paste buffer? Or maybe there is a non-{code} block alternative?

1 answer

1 accepted

Hi Simon,

As far as I know, double-clicking into the code block will at least select all the code.

Copy/Paste functionality is always a bit tricky to implement into web applications, although possible. Most browsers prohibit the copy/paste functionality as it is a security vulnerability if a web page can read a visitors clipboard. Therefore in Firefox, the user has to tweak the about:config to let JavaScript read and write the local clipboard. Other methods use Java applets to interact with the local clipboard, which is also not nice. So I think this is the reason, why such a click-to-copy button has not been implemented into the {code}-macro yet.

So double-clicking might be your best option so far.

Cheers,

Thomas

Most sites including bitbucket use Flash for copypaste which seems to work perfectly fine.

Copy/paste with Flash may work perfectly fine, true. But it is still a security risk and it uses, well...., Flash. ;-)

Anyway I just mentioned Flash for completeness as you had talked about java applets and javascript...

I'm not really a Flash fan but looking on most web sites it's the de facto standard for clipboard manipulation... I have the flash blocker plugin but I don't mind enabling flash for those sites where I want to copy from the code blocks.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Friday in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

264 views 11 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you