How to grant permission to Manage Watchers in Confluence

irma_boehringer
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 16, 2020

I want to grant permission to an individual to Manage Watchers to his Space in Confluence.  He cannot Add Watchers now.

2 answers

0 votes
Brian Debler April 13, 2022

I also do not see where one can enable permissions for "Manage Watchers".  This is a useful feature to have for all users, not just admins.

0 votes
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2020

The user will need the space admin permission to manage watchers on pages in his space. If you are the Confluence site-admin, you can go to the space, then Space Settings. Click on the Permissions tab and the Edit Permissions button (there are two, one to add groups, one to add individuals.)

2020-06-16 18_10_48-View Space Permissions - New User Onboarding - Confluence - Vivaldi.png

Scott Beeson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 13, 2021

... then what? I don't see anything that says anything about watchers.

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 14, 2022

Once a user has the space admin permission for a given space, they can add watchers to individual pages. It's not a separate permission; you must be a space admin to be able to add watchers. 

From the individual page watchers management, you can also add or remove watchers on the entire space the page lives in.

2022-04-14 13_42_57-Locked out of Bitbucket_ - Atlassian Products - Confluence.png

Brian Debler April 14, 2022

It would be a lot nicer if this worked as it does in Jira, where it can be granted to anyone to have permission for modifying Watchers.  I do not want to make people space admins just so they can assign watchers on documents.

Like # people like this
Matthias Bergmann September 22, 2022

This is ridiculous. Even as a Confluence-Adminstrator I cannot manage watchers?

Richard Holzer
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 6, 2023

Hi folks,

Can you please think this implementation over?

If i understood you correctly everyone who would like to manage watchers for his page(s) (talking about single pages now) has to become a space admin first. That's defenitely a No-Go in my opinion and not useful.

So, the minimum requirement should be to ..

>grant the permission for managing watchers in the space settings on user or group level. As part of the current space permission page, similar to the other features.

Even smarter would be:

>grant the permission for managing watchers for the authors's own pages in this space.

>grant the permission for managing watchers for all pages in this space.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events