Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

How to grant permission to Manage Watchers in Confluence

I want to grant permission to an individual to Manage Watchers to his Space in Confluence.  He cannot Add Watchers now.

2 answers

I also do not see where one can enable permissions for "Manage Watchers".  This is a useful feature to have for all users, not just admins.

0 votes
Esther Strom Community Leader Jun 16, 2020

The user will need the space admin permission to manage watchers on pages in his space. If you are the Confluence site-admin, you can go to the space, then Space Settings. Click on the Permissions tab and the Edit Permissions button (there are two, one to add groups, one to add individuals.)

2020-06-16 18_10_48-View Space Permissions - New User Onboarding - Confluence - Vivaldi.png

... then what? I don't see anything that says anything about watchers.

Esther Strom Community Leader Apr 14, 2022

Once a user has the space admin permission for a given space, they can add watchers to individual pages. It's not a separate permission; you must be a space admin to be able to add watchers. 

From the individual page watchers management, you can also add or remove watchers on the entire space the page lives in.

2022-04-14 13_42_57-Locked out of Bitbucket_ - Atlassian Products - Confluence.png

It would be a lot nicer if this worked as it does in Jira, where it can be granted to anyone to have permission for modifying Watchers.  I do not want to make people space admins just so they can assign watchers on documents.

Like # people like this

This is ridiculous. Even as a Confluence-Adminstrator I cannot manage watchers?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Atlassian Community Events