How to bulk disable users in confluence

Az August 16, 2018

Hello,

So we have about 500 people in our confluence instance. These users have all at one point or another created/edited some content on a confluence page. However, we are a volunteer organization and users come in an out. At this point, we only have a dozen active users.

We don’t want these past users to have access to our system. I had initially thought of deleting them all, however, confluence doesn’t let you delete users who have contributed. So then I wanted to disable them all, however, I couldn’t find a bulk way to do this. I don’t have the time to go through 500 user accounts and go the disable process manually.

My solution was then to remove all permissions from this confluence-users group and I created a new group ‘current users’ for the active members which had the necessary permissions. But when a new user is created, they are assigned to the confluence-users group by default and can’t do anything.

How can I solve this issue? Ideally, I would like to be able to bulk disable inactive users but I couldn’t find a solution for that. I tried the CLI but that didn’t work.

1 answer

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 16, 2018

Your strategy of removing the group that the 500 users are in from the global permissions is a sound one.

You may change the Default Group Membership group by editing the Confluence Admin>User Directory and changing "confluence-users" to "current users":

Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 4.42.55 PM.png

Az August 17, 2018

Hi @AnnWorley 

We are only using the confluence internal directory and I don't see an option to make the changes you proposed

tc conf.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events