How do I calculate duration between the dates in Confluence excluding weekends

Gireesha Jeera July 27, 2020

I am trying to display duration column with difference between 2 dates in Confluence. I have tried below:

select *,(CAST(ROUND(ceiling(DATEDIFF(DAY,'From Date','To Date')))as int))+1+ " days" as 'Duration' from T1

this gives the result, however given the dates 25-Jun-2020 to 26-Jun-2020 - duration displayed as 1 instead of 2.

your help is appreciated here. thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2020

Hi @Gireesha Jeera, I used your query in the Table Transformer macro and it works as expected:

2020-07-27_14h12_29.png

What version of Table Filter and Charts do you use?

Did you set the correct date format dd-M-yy in the macro settings?

Hi @Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_ ,

Thanks for the quick response, in my case table looks as below:

for me this still displayed as 1 days, can you please help here ?

confluence`.jpg

Also @Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_  it works may be because i have added + 1 for the below query. however this query doesnt work if there are blank dates and displayed as 1 days.

select *,(CAST(ROUND(ceiling(DATEDIFF(DAY,'From Date','To Date')))as int))+1+ " days" as 'Duration' from T1

so try this and let me know, thank you.

select *,(CAST(ROUND(ceiling(DATEDIFF(DAY,'From Date','To Date')))as int))+ " days" as 'Duration' from T1

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2020

Strange... Could you try this query:

select *,('To Date' - 'From Date' + "1d") / "1d" + " days" as 'Duration' from T1
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 27, 2020

Your second query outputs "1 days"  for the same dates.

select *,(CAST(ROUND(ceiling(DATEDIFF(DAY,'From Date','To Date')))as int))+ " days" as 'Duration' from T1

@Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_ 

this query gives output of 4.428571428571429 days in Duration column. instead of day in whole number format (should be 2 days) thank you.

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 27, 2020
select *,('To Date' - 'From Date' + "24h") / "24h" + " days" as 'Duration' from T1

Please, try this. By default "1d" equals to 8 hours (working day). You can change it in the Worklog settings:

2020-07-27_15h11_29.png

@Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_ Perfect works mate, thank you.

is there any solution to exclude weekends while calculating the number of days between the dates using SQL query ?

Thank you once again mate :)

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 27, 2020

Glad to help you!

Yes, it is possible, but the query is quite complex. See the docs. Let me know if you have any questions.

@Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_ perfect, that works perfectly. thank you once again.

Gireesha Jeera September 23, 2020

@Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_ sorry to trouble you again,

i have tried between the dates 19 Oct 2020 to 30 Oct 2020, its results in 12.041666666666666 days

can you help here to round off please ?

i am using below query currently:

select *,('To Date' - 'From Date' + "24h") / "24h" + " days" as 'Duration' from T1

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 23, 2020

@Gireesha Jeera, that's because of one extra hour due to daylight saving time. Please, ROUND the calculated value:

select *,ROUND(('To Date' - 'From Date' + "24h") / "24h") + " days" as 'Duration' from T1
Gireesha Jeera September 23, 2020

Thanks @Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_  it worked for the number of days but for empty values of both from date and date displayed as "NaN days"

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 23, 2020

Please, use this query:

select *,
CASE WHEN T1.'To Date' IS NOT NULL AND T1.'From Date' IS NOT NULL THEN
ROUND(('To Date' - 'From Date' + "24h") / "24h") + " days"
ELSE "" END
as 'Duration' from T1
Gireesha Jeera September 24, 2020

@Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_ thanks a lot mate, it worked perfectly.

thank you once again.

0 votes
Godwin jino April 16, 2024

@Gireesha Jeera 

i have used this SQL 

SELECT *, 'Days' - 2 * (('Days' / 7)::integer) - CASE WHEN 'Days' % 7 = 0 THEN 0 WHEN 'Start date'::Date->getDay() = 0 THEN 1 WHEN 'Start date'::Date->getDay() + 'Days' % 7 = 7 THEN 1 WHEN 'Start date'::Date->getDay() + 'Days' % 7 > 7 THEN 2 ELSE 0 END AS 'Work days' FROM (SELECT *, ROUND((T1.'End date' - T1.'Start date') / "1d") + 1 AS 'Days' FROM T1)

And next step i don't have clear idea can you help to what are the fields needs to be updated .

Stiltsoft support
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 17, 2024

Hi @Godwin jino ,

Please check the new example from our documentation:

https://docs.stiltsoft.com/tfac/cloud/custom-transformation-use-cases-with-advanced-sql-queries-42241587.html#CustomTransformationusecaseswithadvancedSQLqueries-Calculatingthenumberofworkdaysinaperiodoftime

Wed 13-1.png

SELECT *,
'Days' -
2 * (('Days' / 7)::integer) -
CASE
WHEN 'Days' % 7 = 0 THEN 0
WHEN 'Start date'::Date->getDay() = 0 THEN 1
WHEN 'Start date'::Date->getDay() + 'Days' % 7 = 7 THEN 1
WHEN 'Start date'::Date->getDay() + 'Days' % 7 > 7 THEN 2
ELSE 0
END AS 'Work days'
FROM
(SELECT *,
ROUND((T1.'End date' - T1.'Start date') / "1d") + 1 AS 'Days'
FROM T1)

Wed 13-2.png

If smth goes wrong for you, please refer to our support. Attach the page storage of your page (upper right corner -> menu ... -> View storage format). Then we'll be able to recreate exactly your page and look into the issue.

Like # people like this
Godwin jino April 30, 2024

@Stiltsoft support , 

Thanks for your answer its working now.

Like Stiltsoft support likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events