How can you get an overview of the contents tree in Confluence?

David Beard February 14, 2020

I am new to using Confluence and find the lack of an overview of the contents tree very frustrating?

All you are able to see is a very narrow slice of the contents tree. Quite frustrating when I am trying to tidy up what is there and put it into an order.

2 answers

0 votes
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2020

Hey David,

when you click "Configure sidebar" is the sidebar set to display the space content as "Child pages" or "Page tree"? Because what you are describing sounds like the "Child pages" setting. Please verify that for me. If your sidebar is set to "Page tree" I'm sorry that by default it will not be possible to further improve the system behavior.

What you could try is our app called "Space Admin for Confluence". It comes with an enhanced content browser for Confluence to enable to you really manage content across spaces in your instance and a simple "Expand" button to expand the whole page tree, see my attached screenshot:

spad.png

Best, Max

David Beard February 17, 2020

HI Max

Thank you for the suggestion. The space is set to Child pages.

Can you make adjustments to the view on a user by user basis?

Space Admin Browser, how is this accessed?

Kind regards

Dave

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2020

Hi David,

unfortunately, the setting for the page tree affects every user. :/ But I guess every user will be happier with the "Page tree" setting anyway. I honestly never liked the "Child pages" setting for the same reasons as you.

And sorry if I confused you with bringing up a third-party app. The "space admin browser" is not a built-in feature of Confluence. It comes with our app Space Admin for Confluence. If you like you can try it on the Atlassian marketplace.

Best, Max

0 votes
Victor Mutambuki
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 11.13.28 AM.png

David,

Click on the cog wheel --> Reorder Pages.

Victor

Hi Victor

Thank you for the reply, yes it does provide an overview of the contents tree, but not in conjunction with viewing the page content.

Where the content of many of the pages is uncertain, the reorder function is limited in its scope because all it allows you to do is reorder pages.

Why do need to go to a separate function to reorder the pages, this should be possible on the main contents tree.

Disappointed by an application that seems to suggest so much more, but delivers less.

Kind regards

Dave

Victor Mutambuki
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2020

Dave,

I believe the design was intentional. Were you able to achieve page reordering?

Victor

No, because I can not see the content and the full contents tree together. I am looking to do this in an efficient manner that does not waste time. It would seem Confluence is happy to waste users time if the design was intentional.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events