How can I use Confluence layouts in Scroll Viewport?

Craig Melcher June 16, 2021

Scroll Viewport is stripping the 'layouts' (eg 2-column or 3-column blocks within a page) that I've added in Confluence.
Confluence:
Edit - Moving image - Shelter-s Digital Framework - Confluence 16-06-2021 08-31-15.png 
Scroll Viewport:
Moving image 16-06-2021 08-31-59.png

Is it possible to enable this?
Thanks

2 answers

1 vote
Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 16, 2021

Hi @Craig Melcher

I was wondering if you're using the Help Center theme in Scroll Viewport or if you're using the Web Help or a totally custom theme.

This will help me figure out what's happening here.

Craig Melcher June 16, 2021

Hi @Matt Reiner 

Yes, we're using the Help Center theme in SV. I'm just using the theme settings in the app, not using any customized CSS etc. 

Thanks 

Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 17, 2021

Ah, OK. 👍🏻

Unfortunately, we don’t support Confluence’s page layout option in Scroll Viewport and this limitation is by design: To guarantee a perfect presentation of your content we currently suppress multi column layouts.

Content on columns is instead displayed beneath each other (as you see in your example). We think that readability might suffer as the article template is already divided into two columns, the article navigation and the article content (and even three columns if the Table of contents option is enabled).

So we recommend laying out content so it’s optimized for the width of the article content column.

That’s not to say that we won’t offer multi-column layouts in the future, but we think it might require a rethinking of the current article template altogether (maybe a different article layout option in the theme editor).

Like Deleted user likes this
Craig Melcher June 21, 2021

Thanks @Matt Reiner _K15t_ Makes sense. 

Craig

Like Matt Reiner _K15t_ likes this
Harald Heinz July 7, 2022

Hi @Matt Reiner _K15t_ , is this information still correct one year later? Any suggestions how to use text on the side of a picture or at least divide a page vertically?

I also noticed that Confluence blog posts also seem to be disrupted by Scroll Viewport:
blogpost.png

Thanks

Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
July 11, 2022

Hi @Harald Heinz

Yes this is still true now, but I’d love to better understand what you’d like to do.
You mentioned putting text next to an image, would you elaborate on what you’d like to do that versus putting it above or below the image?

Also, that blog issue looks serious. I’d bet it happens as per of a limited case, so it’d be helpful if you write our team at help@k15t.com and let us know the steps you followed to run into this issue. That will help us recreate the issue so we can come up with a solution. 

Nick Humphries August 11, 2022

Moved to separate thread

Like Matt Reiner _K15t_ likes this
Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
August 12, 2022

Hey @Nick Humphries

Would you mind linking to the other community thread here, I can’t seem to find it.

0 votes
Ondřej Velíšek
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 26, 2023

Hi there,

From my point of view this is a big limitation. I understand it might be a low priority issue, but if it is design decision to not support layouts (sorry for my honesty) it is non-sense. Why to decide not support such a frequently used functionality?  

Several use-cases from top of my head:

• Two images beside each other with some explanation.
    • Before  scenario.
    • After scenario.
  • Back and forth buttons in tutorials flow.
    • One on the left side.
    • One on the right side. 
  • Set of quick links pointing outside documentation divided into three column sections. E.g.
    • Use-cases: case 1, case 2, case 3
    • Legal: Terms of use, Privacy notice, Cookies policy
    • Community: Stack overflow, Blog, Github

Please reconsider the design decision and priority of the issue. Thank you for your work and kind regards.

Laura Parraga -K15t- January 27, 2023

Hi Ondřej,

We've been working on support for Confluence layouts and will release the enhancement in the coming days. You can track the progress using https://k15t.jira.com/browse/VPC-315.

CC @Craig Melcher 

Cheers,

Laura

Like # people like this
christoph_henne
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 3, 2023

Hi Laura,

is it planned to bring this feature also on server/DC?

Greets Christoph

Laura Parraga -K15t- March 6, 2023

Hi @christoph_henne ,

It's not planned at the moment but we will be evaluating this. Thanks for bringing this up!

Cheers.

Laura

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events