How can I create a "bad word" report in Confluence?

I need to create a daily report of usage that scans all text in the entire system for "bad words" from a "bad word" list.  This would be used by an internal group to ensure compliance.  It would also need to have a quick link to the affected page so that it can be removed by an administrator.

3 answers

This widget could not be displayed.
Stephen Deutsch Community Champion Jul 10, 2016

The easiest way to do this is to have a page with a bunch of "Search Results" macros, one for each "bad word". This will update automatically as new pages are indexed and includes links to the page (even if not directly to the word, but you can use CTRL+F on the page to go directly to the word quite easily smile).

The tailored technical solution would be to create a plugin. It requires a basic knowledge of how to develop add-ons for Confluence: Listen to the PageUpdateEvent and email someone when that happens - and that would take 1-2 days programming. The long part in all plugins is always to make them configurable: Who it should email, where we configure the add-on, what if we can't send emails that day, how to deactivate the report for some pages, in case of emails then can the recipient stop the flood and how to align those emails with the Confluence design, etc. - and that could take 10 other days...

If you think that all your bad words will be indexed correctly by Confluence so that search will work, then construct a CQL statement that will look for any content that has those words. Then put that CQL in a getContentList action from Confluence Command Line Interface (CLI) and run that daily using your favorite job scheduler. If you want the report available in Confluence, attach the resulting file to a page using addAttachment and view using the CSV Macro

If Confluence search (ie CQL) doesn't do a good enough job for your use case, there will soon be another alternative available for searching in a similar manner.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 17, 2018 in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

603 views 8 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you