Hi Mike, what steps are you taking to help your products self diagnose and report issues?

Nik Dammermann January 28, 2016

As an Atlassian user at a large organisation, who frequently finds myself accessing our Australia based central JIRA / confluence server from regional offices, I find the performance is frequently poor.  My guess is that a competent technical administrator using the right hardware could dramatically improve performance, so why not highlight this to end users within the products showing in a simple link on the page (similar to the warning that index needs to be updated) that the performance of the product could be improved by following these <link> steps.  The end user who continually sees poor performance could then use this information to lobby administrators to make the necessary improvements.  Currently end users suffer in silence and many might simply give up on trying to use the product, assuming this is an Atlassian software fault not a solvable internal configuration issue.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2016

I simply typed a question into the 'Ask Question' field.  Atlassian need to ensure it is correctly categorised, surely?  The link looks like a sensible place for this question, but who am I to say this is the right place?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2016

This is a forum for end users, not a place for direct questions to individuals really.  Atlassian don't triage or reorganise the questions in any way, and most of the responses are made by non-Atlassians.

So, addressing Mike here is not going to get you much traction.  Asking general questions will usually get you something, hopefully helpful, but it's unlikely that any one specific individual will respond.

The question I've pointed you to was a specific question from Atlassian - have you got anything you'd like to ask Mike?  That thread IS being actively watched for good questions to put to Mike.  But your questions are not related to it, so they probably won't be picked up.

What I am saying is that the mechanism for asking questions to Mike, using the link provided, is wrong and needs to change.  It is strange to have to explain this point as clearly if I asked a question via this route then others will as it is not self explanatory.  Either instructions need to be provided to ensure this mistake does not happen, or someone monitors this general forum and redirect questions appropriately.  I'm all for not having censorship, but if you'd sent me a request to move my question to the right place, by simply clicking a link, then I would have agreed and clicked.  What you are asking is for your customers to manually redo something due to your poor process.  This is not a good look for Atlassian.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 28, 2016

Er, I'm not an Atlassian.

I can't move your question either. And Atlassian have said that this forum is for users, not their triages.

I'd agree that the link in whatever mailing it was you got should go to the question they raised, but as I saw the question here first, I don't think I ever looked at the emails.

And the reality is that you are asking me to ask a question by scrolling down several pages to the bottom of the screen and typing into a field which is called 'your answer'.  It's obvious your colleagues have simply hijacked this forum without thinking through how unsuitable the fields are for this.  Surely a new forum template would have been sensible?

Sorry - I naturally assumed you were at Atlassian.  Why do you care about this if you aren't smile ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 28, 2016

Because you've got valid questions for Mike, and I don't want you to be ignored.

The creating of yet another forum place isn't a lot of use, when Atlassian want to talk to their user base, one of the better places to do it is here.  A separate service for it probably wouldn't engage the users here.  It's not really designed for requesting this sort of feedback, but the community benefits from it automatically.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events