My company is consolidating to a single Wiki platform, and my team is coming from FOSWiki (aka TWiki). We have about 800 pages and I need to preserve links, inline images, attachments, formatting, and page hierarchy. Theoretically the UWC is supposed to do this but it is no longer supported and doesn't work with Confluence 5 - it completely breaks when there is any HTML on the page. We're a small team so we can't afford to pay thousands to tens of thousands for this service.
Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.
My company went through this. We consolidated 3 different TWiki's into Confluence. It was a massive undertaking dealing with 30,000+ pages.
UWC gets you started. But it was NOT enough. And you are right - it crashes all of the time. I realized there were lots of broken links, poorly formatted items, and I could identify what was going to cause it to crash.
So I wrote a PERL parser that took the TWiki files and cleaned them up before I ran it through the UWC. It only worked on one WEB at a time. After each new WEB I imported, I would go back and tighten my rules and add new items that found that it did not format well. Lots of regular expressions.
1) The output of my parser had three possible directories: NoChanges, AutoCorrect, Review.
2) I would then spend time on the Review directory and hand edit those files and/or import them and watch UWC crash as I imported into a TEMPORARY space.
3) Once I was happy all of my TWiki to Confluence files, I would import into new SPACE. I would then review and possible hand edit some of the remaining files. Mainly hyperlinking files from new space to other already created spaces.
Yea - Lots of work. But we ended up with a very good product.
Anyone still need help migrating Foswiki to Confluence? I volunteered to migrate 400 pages to Confluence and in the end wrote my own Java code to do it.
Yes I encountered all the issues mentioned above and more. For example, Foswiki supports Base64 embedded images but Confluence silently ignored them. I've completed my task now but the code is still in a good state to be modified accordingly.
The way I wrote the app was to utilise space properties to maintain migration state which works really well. Especially when you have multiple "releases".
I recommend any migration should go to a test server/space first so that you can effectively test it as you go along. The code for debugging reasons also creates a page that contains an index of migrated pages including the original URL and destination URL and includes logging for each page including warnings of links and anchors so that you know which pages need more testing.
As mentioned before the migration has been complete now for a few months and was an overall success.
Hi @Ryan Meintjes I certainly can help except I wouldn't want to go through and rewrite what I'd done. If you have foswiki pages accessible to me I could run through some of them with the converter to see how it goes if you like? Otherwise how it's written is a lot of analysis of the Foswiki page structure, understanding the confluence API and resolving issues as they occur.
I am currently working on a TWiKi to Confluence migration project and come across lots of issues. The web I am working on involved 1500+ of pages and attachments. My issues include:
(1) Hundreds of files failed to convert by UWC. Some of those can be converted after I removed all the html tag or curly brackets.
(2) Those was converted, are either in a chuck of raw text which need to be reformatted by hand or with lots of broken links.
All these involved manual fix and reformat which is very time consuming.
I am interested in your PERL Parser. Would it be possible to share it with me ?
This may be far too late to help you, but I've just seen an example of this, and the problem was with the html macro that is generated. By default, the macro is disabled, and so the macro invocation tag is output verbatim and the HTML content in its body is passed to the wiki markup converter, which ignores all of the tags.
If this is your situation, you must omit the html macro and substitute the equivalent "safe" macro equivalents for each HTML tag for which Confluence has one, passing any attribute settings as parameters. Links, which don't have an equivalent, can be changed directly to wiki link markup. That could be done in the output formatter if you're up to that, or take the easier path and script it.
Then again, if 800 pages is all you've got, it may well be easier to edit them by hand...
Hi my Community friends! For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs