Forbidden error on publishing page using iOS mobile app

Ray W November 19, 2019

Hello all,

This question is in reference to this Jira ticket:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-62580

When I've edited a newly created page via iOS, both iPhone and iPad, after hitting "Publish"  I simply get the message "Forbidden".

Hitting the close icon (X) presents me with an alert, "Discard changes." I have no other options, so hitting that alert takes me out of the editing window. By then selecting another note and re-selecting the actual note I'm trying to edit, I see that the changes were published.

Please see the ticket linked to above for a more complete description of the issue. My experience matches that in the ticket, except changing permissions has no effect.

Thanks for your help,

Ray

6 answers

0 votes
s_kir February 1, 2020

Hello guys!

I am just joining the confluence on free plane, publish some pages from mobile app and after update from web on PC I have a same problem “Forbidden” when I return to the mobile app. 

0 votes
Rosey January 31, 2020

Joining the queue of users affected by this.  I'm seeing this on both my iPhone running 13.3.1 and my iPad Pro running the same OS.

0 votes
Jeremy Herrman January 13, 2020

I have this same problem on the Confluence iPad app. Desktop & website work fine.

Looking forward to a fix.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Adam Mintram January 17, 2020

Hey, I'm also having this problem. Adding a note and keen to hear resolution. Currently can't publish on confluence so not able to use on iOS app. 

Cheers!

Adam

Tiffany
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 17, 2020

Hi @Jeremy Herrman and @Adam Mintram

Thank you for your patience as the team is currently working on fixing this bug. A workaround for the current problem is if you tap Publish, get the error, and leave the page (tap the X and close the doc), you will actually see your changes published to the document. Let me know if this workaround works for you.

Best,

Tiffany

Like Shannon S likes this
Mozu Atlassian January 26, 2020

This workaround doesn’t work if the page doesn’t already exist. I can’t publish a new page from iOS. Thanks!

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 28, 2020

Hi Jeffrey, 

Thank you for the update, and I wanted to also welcome you to the Community. I'm checking in on this issue, and it appears that we are still working on a fix for the bug. We are being blocked by a few other issues at the moment, so are working to resolve those issues in the meantime.

I'll update here when I have any news!

Regards,

Shannon

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
February 7, 2020

@Mozu Atlassian,

I believe a fix has been pushed out on this, but I'm not able to confirm if the change has been pushed to your site. Can you see if you have any updates and try again and let me know if you still have the issue?

There are no comments on the official bug yet, but I got some other notifications, so I just want to see if it's resolved.

Thank you for your help!

Shannon

s_kir February 7, 2020

@Shannon S A few days ago I am update app in AppStore on my iPhone and iPad but problem with “Forbidden” is still here. 

Like Shannon S likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
February 10, 2020

Thank you for confirming @s_kir,

I just saw a message from the development team, and it appears that it's partially resolved but not completely resolved at this time, but we expect to release that in the upcoming month. 

I believe it should work now to publish new pages, but on certain sites for editing existing pages, the error is still being encountered.

I'll update again when I can confirm that is fixed too.

Shannon

Like regans likes this
0 votes
SuttonTim January 12, 2020

Another person here having the same issue. 

All works fine on desktop client etc but cannot publish news or updated content. Also using the free tier and am the only account. 

0 votes
Tiffany
Atlassian Team
December 6, 2019

Hi @regans and @Ray W

Thank you for sharing this issue with our team. This is definitely not an experience we intended and will work on addressing this as soon as we can. I'd also like you to know that this is encompassed in our broader efforts to reduce the friction for creating content, and your feedback means a lot to us. Please let Shannon know if there is any more information on this issue and she'll keep you updated on the fixes.

Best,

Tiffany

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
December 9, 2019

Hello all,

I've created a public version of this bug below, so we can follow along with its progress:

• CONFCLOUD-68806 [iOS] Free tier users getting Forbidden error when publishing but publishes are successful

Thank you again for reporting this. We'll keep you updated through that link!

Regards,

Shannon

Like # people like this
Ian Mac January 3, 2020

+1 for this issue too. 

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
November 21, 2019

Hi Ray,

Welcome to Atlassian Community. It's nice to have you here. I'm happy to help with this issue!

Could you show me the current space permissions which you changed, and let me know what groups the user is in on Confluence?

What were the permissions before you changed them?

Regards,

Shannon

Ray W November 21, 2019

Thanks a lot for getting back to me, Shannon. And thanks for the welcome!

I'm unable to change permissions on the spaces as I'm on the free tier which keeps me locked out. The space permissions are all default with the administrators, confluence-users and site-admins groups having all access -- everything enabled, nothing turned off. It's just the Anonymous group that has no access.

Seems it wasn't so much the permissions I changed, but instead added a brand new user to the 'administrators' and 'site-admins' groups. Working as that user I experienced the same "forbidden" issue above.

Sorry for the confusion about groups vs. permissions.

Thanks much for your help,

Ray

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
November 22, 2019

Hi Ray,

Thank you for letting me know that.

You said the page was newly created - did you create the page? Was it created on the mobile app, or did you create it on desktop first? 

Also, can you tell me if the site was always on the free tier, or did you downgrade at some point? If so, were there restrictions placed on the page initially?

Thank you for your help!

Regards,

Shannon

Ray W November 22, 2019

I just created a blank page on desktop. I edited it on an iPhone, hit publish, and was given the "forbidden" alert. Refreshed Confluence on desktop and I'm seeing the iPhone edit. Closing the iPhone editor, was prompted to "Discard changes", discarded the changes, refreshed desktop and see the update, reloaded mobile and see the update.

Created a blank page on the iPhone, hit publish, was given the alert. Then closing the editing window am given the option to "Delete" or "Keep editing". Hitting delete exits the editor window and there are no changes reflected on desktop, nor does the page exist on mobile.

The site's always been on the free tier. Set it up a couple days after the tier was announced.

Sorry the above is so heavy, wanna give you clear examples.

Thank you, Shannon. Have a good weekend!

Like # people like this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
November 26, 2019

Hello Ray,

No, thank you so much for the detailed steps to replicate. I've tried myself now, even with a free account, and I can't replicate it.

I did find another user in our support queue that has the exact same problem as you, except only when they add 2 images to the page. Is there anything in particular that you're adding to the page that causes the error? 

Are you behind any special network or proxy when you encounter that error? Are other users having the same issue?

I'm going to create a support ticket in Cloud for this so we can look at your logs. Please, if you can also send me a screenshot of the errors, I can attach them to the ticket.

Regards,

Shannon

regans November 28, 2019

Hi

I am having the same issue as Ray W described. I also have a newly created free tier confluence plan. The problem occurs on wifi without any proxy or filtering, and on mobile data. If possible, could you please let me know what the solution is once this is resolved?

Thanks

Regan

benwallacedev November 30, 2019

I'm having the exact same problem as well. I'm getting a Forbidden error when attempting to publish a new page through the IOS App, free teir.

Ray W December 1, 2019

here are the screenshots. not the most informative, but is what i'm faced with when hitting 'publish'

screenshot-iOS-editor.gifscreenshot-iOS-forbidden.gif

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
December 5, 2019

Hello everyone!

With some tests and investigation, it appears similar to this bug:

When a user creates a new page or edits an existing page using iOS mobile application, user gets Forbidden error on publishing page. This only occurs when the user is not granted with space's Restrictions and Admin permissions.

A Forbidden error appears and user remains in the edit page screen. However, the changes will be applied.

@Ray W mentioned that the changes are applied in the end, but did you both notice the same? cc: @benwallacedev @regans 

Are you all the only (and primary) users on your Cloud Free accounts? Could you all also let me know if it occurs with other users, and other pages? 

I'm trying to replicate this on my Cloud free account, but I have been unable to thus far. I want to raise a ticket for you all in our support queue, but I want to try to gather more information about it first for our developers.

Thank you for your help!

Regards,

Shannon

regans December 5, 2019

Hi Shannon. Thanks for your efforts to resolve this. I am the only user on a cloud Free account. I can confirm that edits are saved despite the forbidden banner. However, new pages do not save. I haven't seen the "A page with this title already exist" error messages mentioned in CONFCLOUD-62580 though.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
December 6, 2019

Thank you for verifying that @regans! I believe that message about a page already existing was just an example. The main issue is with the Forbidden error.

I've gotten in touch with the Confluence product manager for the mobile app. I'm waiting to see what she says about this bug or if it could be related. I'll let you know what I find out. I'm so sorry this is taking so long; it's obviously a major issue but it's been tricky for me to replicate it.

I'll follow-up with you next week when I hear back from the PM.

Thank you so much!

Regards,

Shannon

bahadir January 6, 2020

Hi Shannon when is this issue gonna be resolved any ideas?

Like # people like this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
January 7, 2020

Hello @bahadir,

Thank you for the follow-up. At this time we're still working on the root cause, but I'm involved in the update channels now so I can let you know as soon as I know anything. 

Regards,

Shannon 

Ray W January 7, 2020

thanks, Shannon!

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
January 10, 2020

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to update that it appears the team is working on a fix to something that's we believe might be blocking this issue first.

I'll follow-up with you again in a while when I hear anything further!

Thank you again for your patience,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events