Docker Not Updated

Georgios Dimitrakakis April 25, 2021

Hi,

I am trying to update Confluence Server which runs as a Docker container from v.7.11.0 to v.7.12.0

Before doing anything I am checking to verify that there aren't any incompatible plugins and if one is found I am disabling it temporarily.

I then follow the following procedure:

docker stop {confluence_container}

docker pull atlassian/confluence-server:7.12.0

docker rm {confluence_container}

docker run --name {confluence_container} -v {confluence_container}_data:/var/atlassian/application-data/confluence -v {confluence_container}_logs:/opt/atlassian/confluence/logs -v {confluence_container}_conf:/opt/atlassian/confluence -e ATL_JDBC_URL="jdbc:postgresql://{postgres_container}:5432/{postgres_confluence_db}" -e ATL_JDBC_USER={postgres_confluence_db_user} -e ATL_JDBC_PASSWORD={postgres_confluence_db_password} -e ATL_DB_DRIVER=org.postgresql.Driver -e ATL_DB_TYPE=postgresql -e JVM_MINIMUM_MEMORY=1792m -e JVM_MAXIMUM_MEMORY=3072m -e JVM_SUPPORT_RECOMMENDED_ARGS=-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=/var/atlassian/application-data/confluence/cacerts -e ATL_PROXY_NAME={confluence.mydomain.com} -e ATL_PROXY_PORT=443 -e ATL_TOMCAT_SCHEME=https -e ATL_TOMCAT_SECURE=true -e ATL_AUTOLOGIN_COOKIE_AGE=3600 --restart always -d atlassian/confluence-server:7.12.0

*All values in brackets {} have been replaced from the real ones

"docker ps" shows that I am using the correct image version on the new container but on the web page I still see 7.11.0 and update check reveals that 7.12.0 is still available and I am running 7.11.0 still.

Logs reveal the following: 2021-04-25 10:36:02,408 INFO [Catalina-utility-1] [com.atlassian.confluence.lifecycle] contextInitialized Starting Confluence 7.11.0 [build 8701 based on commit hash 4ab2fd7acc79914c58393a7ecef6f9e51f1cca39] - synchrony version 4.0.0-master-b109be2a

which concurs that 7.11.0 is starting instead of 7.12.0

I have followed the same procedure for BitBucket but that got updated without a problem.

On the other hand the same procedure on one container running altogether Software, Core, ServiceManagement is having the same result, meaning that is not updated and the previous version is still in use (exactly like what is happening with Confluence).

Why is this happening? What am I doing wrong here?

Best regards,

G.

2 answers

0 votes
David Pressley January 17, 2023

I'm not sure if it's still an issue you're having...

since you are using named volumes, the confluence.cfg.xml file is mounted in the container at /var/... and one of the elements of the file contains <buildNumber>XXXX</buildNumber>. It seemed like you already had 7.11 running, so I'm curious to know if the value of that element persisted and wasn't updated?

<buildNumber>8701</buildNumber>

vs

<buildNumber>8703</buildNumber>

0 votes
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2021

Hi @Georgios Dimitrakakis 

Could you double check after that step?

docker rm {confluence_container}

docker ls -a

Georgios Dimitrakakis April 25, 2021

Hi @Gonchik Tsymzhitov ,

maybe you mean "docker ps -a" . In any case the container has been removed and not left. If it hadn't then there would also be problems spawning a container using the same name.

Any other ideas?

Best,

G.

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2021

Hi @Georgios Dimitrakakis , 

you're right a typo ps -a instead ls -a :) 

Also, about non-creating a new container, it's true, but next command works

hence to me is confusion

-d atlassian/confluence-server:7.12.0

Georgios Dimitrakakis April 26, 2021

Hi @Gonchik Tsymzhitov ,

what do you mean "it works"? Sorry but didn't understand that.

I have the same at the end and I am positive and can verify that it uses the latest image "7.12.0". But when the container starts as said already is still in the old release and starts the old version.

Regards,

G.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events