Difficulties Embedding a Youtube Video into Confluence

Grant_Loranger April 6, 2020

I am having difficulties embedding a Youtube video into Confluence.  I have attempted to paste in the main Youtube URL and the 'Share' Youtube URL, but the link will populate and disappear within about a second.  I've seen people recommend using a 'Widget Connector' as well, but I cannot find it in my Macro options. 

Are there any other ways to embed a video?   I know Youtube has an option to share -> Embed, but I can't find a way to include that, either. 

1 answer

2 votes
Victoria
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 6, 2020

Hi @Grant_Loranger

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

To use the Widget Connector Macro, you need to click on Insert > View more, as the following Screenshot:

Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 14.05.14.png

Then you have to search for Widget Connector:

Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 14.05.36.png

Add the Youtube Video URL in Web Site's Widget URL and you'll see it this way:

Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 14.05.56.png

We recommend the Widget Connector Macro to display online multimedia content. If want to read more, please check Display Files and Images.

Please let me know how this goes. If you run into any trouble or have questions along the way, we’re happy to help!

Kind Regards,
Victoria Stolf | Atlassian Support

Hi Victoria! 

Thank you for your reply.  I have searched for the Widget Connector in that way, and it isn't one of the available options for me.  Also, my screen looks slightly different.  It actually reads "Other Macros" rather than "View More. "  Is there any other way?

Best,

Grant

Victoria
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 6, 2020

Actually, the "View More" is an option for the Cloud version. In Server, I found the button as "Other Macros'. The name is different, but they lead to the same option of Select Macro.

There's a chance that your Widget Connector Macro is disabled. We had a security issue regarding this plugin, as we describe as Widget Connector vulnerability - CVE-2019-3396 in Confluence Security Advisory

You can check this in:

• Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 17.38.42.png > Manage Apps > select "All apps" > Widget Connector > Enable

Can you please confirm if it works?

Hi Victoria, 

I appreciate you responding!  Unfortunately, the only gear that I am able to find if "space tools".  I'm thinking it must not be in my permission set as a page editor, but not a Confluence administrator.  I will reach out to my IT team. Thank you!

Victoria
Atlassian Team
April 6, 2020

Right, @Grant_Loranger!

After reaching out to your IT team, if you still need assistance, please let me know. 

Kind Regards,
Victoria Stolf | Atlassian Support

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 7, 2021

@Victoria I just HAD to reply to this thread, just because you used an Audioslave youtube video! A thousand kudos to you! :D

Like Victoria likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events