Database is corrupted after upgrade and not allowing to login anyone

Rama Vangipuram February 13, 2015

We did an upgrade to add Confluence to our existing JIRA and it has stopped working. We see database schema has changed a lot. None of our user are able to sign up. 

I found from atlassian-jira-security.log file it says user 

“hgarg tried to login but they do not have USE permission or weren’t found”

Need an urgent attention please.

3 answers

1 vote
Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2015

"We have JIRA v5 (sorry if I don't know all the details but it was whatever release you had back in July of last year). We also have JIRA agile installed. One of our execs wanted to add Confluence, which we bought the license for. We downloaded whatever was the latest version available for Confluence, which once we downloaded and then ran the installer. Once it was installed, it asked to connect to a database and we pointed it to our existing JIRA database"

This reads to me as that you had a working JIRA instance and installed a confluence instance and instead of creating a brand new db you gave it the same exact db creds as JIRA. If this is the case JIRA got wiped out (confluence should have warned about this in the ui btw).

Best bet is to restore the jira instance db and make sure there are 2 separate databases (or schemes depending on db).

if that's not the case - support.atlassian.com. 

1 vote
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2015

If you have an active support license you should contact Atlassian support I think. Remember that most people here are not Atlassian employees or paid to answer questions please

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 13, 2015

I'm afraid there is too little information here, and it's very confusing too.  We can't really help you until you can explain what you've really done.

On the confusion side, JIRA and Confluence are separate systems, so I'm not sure what you mean by "an upgrade to add Confluence to our existing JIRA"?  

On the lack of information - what versions of JIRA and Confluence were you on, and what are you on now?  How are they configured to talk to each other?  Are you trying to use JIRA to handle the user directory and import them into Confluence?  Or are they separate?  Or is there another user directory system involved?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 13, 2015

Please, be clear. - Latest version of JIRA implies 6.3, but it's worth stating it properly because you can get 6.4 as early access. - We do probably need to know what version you were on. "I believe version 5" is too vague - "Confluence was the new version but uninstalled it" is useless. What were you on, and what did you try to go to? - "Confluence plugin" tells us nothing. At the very least, we need a name for this plugin. Because we need to know what it is for, where you found it, why you're looking at it, and, most importantly, how you think it relates to your current problem. I'm afraid you need to think this through properly, and tell us what you are doing. Your description is so unformed and vague, we can't even begin to guess what you have done or even what you are trying to do.

On Wednesday, We procured licenses for confluence and did an install. 
My mistake didn't backup jira because instructions didn't explicitly state so 
Once confluence was installed and asked to connect to jira server I gave it the credentials and it ran its DB scripts which basically deleted all our users out 
Ever since then we have been trying to recoup the users which we did from an old backup ie we restored tables where the user information was missing 
Then we figured because we had an older version of JIRA that confluence must have screwed something up with the table structure since it is a newer version. So decided to upgrade jira.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 13, 2015

I apologise for my previous comment - I typed and posted it before your follow-up which answers some of the questions

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 13, 2015

>ie we restored tables where the user information was missing This is probably the root of the problem. A flat restoration of any data in different versions of Atlassian applications is extremely unlikely to work. You have almost certainly destroyed at least one of the two systems. Your best option now is to shut all of them down, and explain *exactly* what you have done. I can't tell what you have moved, migrated, upgraded, damaged or tried from what you have written here. Please, stop the servers before it gets worse and write up a simple list of what you have tried to do, and include the version numbers of all the applications at every step in the process.

First of all Nic, I appreciate you trying to help but please don't be facetious towards us. Your tone with your wording doesn't help the situation. I'm sorry I don't have all the facts straight for you but let me you what I know.

We have JIRA v5 (sorry if I don't know all the details but it was whatever release you had back in July of last year). We also have JIRA agile installed. One of our execs wanted to add Confluence, which we bought the license for. We downloaded whatever was the latest version available for Confluence, which once we downloaded and then ran the installer. Once it was installed, it asked to connect to a database and we pointed it to our existing JIRA database. Our mistake is we didn't do a backup of this prior to pointing the Confluence install to our JIRA DB instance (SQL Server). At the end of the installation of its DB scripts confluence reported an error with the Latin version (however we checked and it was already at the right version). At this point we realized that no one could login into JIRA and if you tried to click on the link on the forgot password we got a 500 internal server error.

At this point we checked the database and realized that all our users were deleted. We then restored the Users (just a table restore from an older backup). Still ran into issues with logging in and realized maybe there was a version error with confluence and JIRA. So we decided to upgrade JIRA, so we clicked on the link to download JIRA (version 6.3). We uninstalled Confluence and then ran the installer for the upgrade for JIRA. We tried to update the license and couldn't do it via web interface and had to manually update the database. Now we are at point that no user can login even if we create a localadmin account. No one can login and we can't get into JIRA.

So please help us and if you don't want to then find someone who has more patience than you.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 13, 2015

"facetious" means "being flippant when faced with serious issues". That is a completely inaccurate description of my attitude here. * You have a serious issue. * You have given us very little information to go on * I have asked questions in a way that tries to explain what information we probably need in order to help you * You failed to answer most of the questions I'm trying to help. I completely accept the accusation that I am "impatient". I am. When presented with useless answers to the questions. Accusations aside, this latest comment does include some actual answers to the questions you ignored earlier, but we still need you to answer some more. >At the end of the installation of its DB scripts confluence reported an error with the Latin version (however we checked and it was already at the right version). What "DB scripts"? What error? >We then restored the Users (just a table restore from an older backup). What tables? Which system? Why did you think this would help? > So we decided to upgrade JIRA, On this one, I am going to be "facetious" again - what made you think this was a good idea? Rolling back to previous and working systems is the only sane or logical thing to do at this point. Running an upgrade you haven't even tested on a system that you already know is broken is pretty much never going to work. Please, we *really* do need to know what versions of the software you are using and trying to "upgrade". From and to. Your last comment covers a lot of what you have done, but is still unclear on the exact process you've run through. What documentation have you tried? Most importantly, have you stopped digging this hole and gone back to your last good backups? Because the damage I suspect you have done warrants this.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events