Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence macro for data table paging (bonus: with filtering)

Austin April 2, 2018

Is there a macro that allows paging on a long table of data? I have about 400 rows of data that I want to page 10-20 at a time, and ideally with filtering

My ideal scenario is to have an interface to the jquery DataTables plugin, but I haven't found anything that implements that specific plugin in Confluence. Are there any macros that provide paging? Ideally with some of the other features DataTables provides

For reference https://datatables.net/

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Austin April 16, 2018

For anyone looking to do this in the future, this should work with any Confluence table. Your table will need a unique ID. It will also need a Header row, otherwise <th> elements are not drawn and you will have to rewrite the javascript to select the first <tr> and change it.

1) Load alternate jQuery, load DataTables using alt jQuery, store alt jQuery using noconflict. Place the following code in the Custom HTML <head>

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="https://cdn.datatables.net/1.10.16/css/jquery.dataTables.css"> 
<script type="text/javascript" src="https://code.jquery.com/jquery-1.12.3.min.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" charset="utf8" src="https://cdn.datatables.net/1.10.16/js/jquery.dataTables.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">jQueryAlt = jQuery.noConflict(true);</script>

2) Create user macro, Rendered body

<script type="text/javascript">
jQueryAlt(document).ready( function () {
jQueryAlt('#$body').removeClass('appfire-table-plus-parms');
t = jQueryAlt('table#$body');
firstTr = t.find('tbody tr:first').remove();
firstTr.find('th').contents().unwrap().wrap('<th>');
t.prepend(jQueryAlt('<thead></thead>').append(firstTr))
jQueryAlt('#$body').dataTable();
});
</script>

3) Call your user macro from step 2 and place your table ID in the macro body. 

Ibrahiem Mohammad April 2, 2019

what macro metadata do you use? 

Austin April 2, 2019

I'm not super familiar with what constitutes metadata, but I use no parameters - just the $body variable that contains the id of the table. I suppose you could make that a parameter instead, but $body works for me.

Like Ibrahiem Mohammad likes this
2 votes
Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2018

Hello Austin,

There are no macros for table paging, but there is Table Filter macro that allows you to filter tables. Also it has Freeze first N rows feature that you may find useful. See it in action here.

richardofrugeley August 16, 2018

Table Filter looks impressive.

Like 우성운 likes this
nyoungb2 October 31, 2018

It seem that the "Freeze first N rows" feature literally just shows the first N rows, which is not pagination. Pagination allows the user to view all table rows, just it a way that prevents the browser from slowing way down with big tables. I'm really surprised that table pagination isn't integrated into Confluence tables. Table pagination is basically required for big tables, and tools like https://datatables.net/ recognize that.

Without pagination, I don't see how anyone can effectively work with large tables on Confluence

Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2018

This option makes large tables to occupy small space on the page, that makes it easier to navigate through and edit the page. It doesn't improve page load time. 

Natalie Paramonova _Stiltsoft_
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 26, 2020

The pagination feature is available in the latest version 5.4.0 of Table Filter and Charts.

pagination3.png

Like # people like this
0 votes
weweave UG
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 18, 2020

Although this post is quite old, we would like to let you know that we developed the app "DataTables for Confluence" (see https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1220302/datatables-for-confluence) for Confluence Cloud which adds DataTables features (such as filtering / full-text search) to native Confluence tables.

0 votes
Austin April 2, 2018

I decided to try and do it myself.

I'm using Bob Swift SQL Query to pull data from database

I've added the DataTables CDN CSS and JS to my Custom HTML head. That is working.

I created a user macro to inject the javascript before my table:

<script type="text/javascript">
AJS.toInit(function(){
AJS.$('#table-id').dataTable();
});
</script>

and set my table ID in Bob Swift SQL Query.

It looks like DataTables is initializing the table correctly as it is adding classes, aria- data, etc to my table HTML. The DataTables CSS is applying to the table as well. However, none of the DataTables functions appear to be working, and I think it has something to do with Confluence adding its own appfire-table-plus JavaScript right after my own. How do I suppress the default table formatting, or how can I render my own table HTMLin a user macro?  I have a feeling that you can't do it in a User macro but I hope I can get this done without creating my own Java plugin

Austin April 2, 2018

I've made progress, had to load a second version of jQuery, I think I have everything working properly now EXCEPT:

DataTables requires a well-formed html table, including <thead> with <th> and <tbody> with <tr>. Confluence doesnt use <thead>, instead placing the header <th> elements in <tbody>. This is probably something to ask in a new question, but how do I get confluence to return a "proper" html table?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events