Confluence installer fails after connecting to SQL

Paul Hackett September 14, 2018

I setup a new Windows 2016 Server VM on vmware and I ran the installer for 6.11 and everything is progressing fine.  I  get to "Connect to your Database" and choose My Own Database for SQL (2012) and enter all the information and it connects without an issue and I can see that tables have been created.

It goes through the install and then fails with an HTTP Status 500 - Internal Server Error

I changed the SQL User password and removed special characters, verified that the SQL user has ALL the permissions to the DB, I tried express install, I tried running the setup from IE and Chrome, I disabled Antivirus, Tried both FQDN & IP of SQL Server and each time I removed the installation and tried a reinstall and they all failed, I installed Java and tried the install from the .zip file but that didn't work.

confluence140918115552-stdout.2018-09-14.log

confluence140918115552-stderr.2018-09-14.log

commons-daemon.2018-09-14.log

catalina.2018-09-14.log

atlassian-confluence.log

1 answer

0 votes
Sattesh M
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 17, 2018

Hello Paul,

Looking into the logs, it looks like the user is missing the INSERT permission for the database.

The INSERT permission was denied on the object 'hibernate_unique_key', database 'Confluence', schema 'dbo'.

Could you check on the database user again, and see if they have the full create, read and write permissions for the database tables.

I would suggest to restart the installation process from scratch to make sure we're not dealing with any partial installation from the previous attempt as well.

Cheers,
Sattesh

Paul Hackett September 17, 2018

Sattesh, 

Looks like we were missing that permission.  I uninstalled everything and reran the setup and it failed again.  I did another uninstall and reinstall and this time it went through without an issue.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Paul

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events