Confluence index error on upgrade from 4.2.12 to 4.3

Glenn Garraway September 12, 2012

Hi everyone.

I've had some issues with the upgrade of Confluence from 4.2.12 to 4.3. After a couple of attempts, I found the following error in the logs...

2012-09-13 08:50:57,996 ERROR [main] [hibernate.tool.hbm2ddl.SchemaUpdate] execute Unsuccessful: create index attch_data_idx on ATTACHMENTDATA (ATTACHMENTID)

2012-09-13 08:50:58,003 ERROR [main] [hibernate.tool.hbm2ddl.SchemaUpdate] execute ORA-01408: such column list already indexed

2012-09-13 08:50:58,007 ERROR [main] [hibernate.tool.hbm2ddl.SchemaUpdate] execute could not complete schema update

java.sql.SQLException: ORA-01408: such column list already indexed

It turns out that the ATTACHMENTDATA table has a unique contraint (on ATTACHMENTID) that has an identical index to the one being created by the upgrade process. When I removed the unique constraint, the original index was removed and the upgrade (and creation of the new index) was successful.

I attempted to re-add the unique constraint after the upgrade, but I get an error telling me that the index already exists (which makes sense given the same index was created during the upgrade above).

My question is, is this a bug, and is there any danger in not having the unique constraint on the ATTACHMENTDATA table in place?
Cheers.
- Glenn

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Thor September 18, 2012

I had a similar problem upgrading from 4.2.1 to 4.3.1 (sorry part of the error is in Danish due to our Oracle version):

2012-09-19 11:17:38,642 ERROR [main] [hibernate.tool.hbm2ddl.SchemaUpdate] execute Unsuccessful: create index attch_data_idx on ATTACHMENTDATA (ATTACHMENTID)
2012-09-19 11:17:38,642 ERROR [main] [hibernate.tool.hbm2ddl.SchemaUpdate] execute ORA-01408: kolonnelisten er allerede indekseret

2012-09-19 11:17:38,642 ERROR [main] [hibernate.tool.hbm2ddl.SchemaUpdate] execute could not complete schema update
java.sql.SQLException: ORA-01408: kolonnelisten er allerede indekseret

Investigating further it turns out that Oracle has already created this index because the column is a foreign key. It seems that Hibernate fails to detect that. I am wondering whether it is because the Hibernate dialect it Oracle9 and the database is an 11.

Anyway adding the following to confluence.cfg.xml enable the upgrade to run:

<property name="hibernate.hbm2ddl.skip_creating_missing_indexes">true</property>

Glenn Garraway September 19, 2012

Thanks for the info, that's consistent with the work around suggested by Daniel above.

We have a production upgrade due sometime in the next 6 months so i'll see how the above suggestions go.

Thanks again.

1 vote
Daniel Borcherding
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2012

It looks like this issue may have been addressed in a previous answers post.

Please give the following a peruse and let us know if the workaround described solved your issues

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/79402/issues-upgrading-confluence-from-4-1-to-4-2

As far as the danger of not having a unique constaint on the ATAACHMENTDATA table I am not entirely sure. Hopefully this workaround will make it unnecessary to remove this constraint.

Glenn Garraway September 13, 2012

Thanks for the reply Daniel.

I'll roll back the upgrade and give that a test.

Cheers.

- Glenn

Glenn Garraway September 16, 2012

Looks like I can't roll back my development environment to a pre-upgrade version of Confluence to properly test this workaround. Can someone report on whether this workaround was successful?

0 votes
Sinead O'Neill September 12, 2012

I am seeing the same errors when I attempt to upgrade to Confluence 4.3 from 4.2.11.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events