It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Confluence failing to start

Hello,

I'm very new to Confluence and I'm currently trying to create a staging version of a production environment. I'm working on RedHat Linux servers.
I've followed the documentation to do so, and have copied the home directory and installation directory of the production environment to a different physical server for the staging env. 

After trying to start confluence with the right system parameters, confluence has failed. When I check the logs, I get this : 

-- Unit confluence.service has begun starting up.
Nov 19 17:02:25 <hostname>start-confluence.sh[30501]: To run Confluence in the foreground, start the server with start-confluence.sh -fg
Nov 19 17:02:25 <hostname>start-confluence.sh[30501]: Confluence has been installed to run as confluence1 so please sudo run this to enable switching to that user
Nov 19 17:02:25 <hostname>systemd[1]: confluence.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
Nov 19 17:02:25 <hostname> systemd[1]: Failed to start Confluence.
-- Subject: Unit confluence.service has failed
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel
--
-- Unit confluence.service has failed.
--
-- The result is failed.
Nov 19 17:02:25 <hostname> systemd[1]: Unit confluence.service entered failed state.
Nov 19 17:02:25 <hostname> systemd[1]: confluence.service failed.
Nov 19 17:02:25 <hostname> polkitd[791]: Unregistered Authentication Agent for unix-process:30495:21877053 (system bus name :1.661, object path /org/freedesktop/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_US.UTF-8) 053 (system bus name :1.661 [/usr/bin/pkttyagent --notify-fd 5 --fallback], object path /org/freedesktop/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_US.UTF-8) (disconnected from bus)

I have no idea where to start looking for a solution and need all the help I can get,

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

I'd guess it's down to the user you are trying to use to start the service:

Confluence has been installed to run as confluence1 so please sudo run this to enable switching to that user

So either login or su to user confluence1 before starting.

thx !  your comment reminded me this dev instance I'm supporting runs as confluence3 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

What project did you transition or start on Confluence with the shift to remote work?

It’s been great to hear from fellow users over the last few weeks about the best tips and fun moments you’ve had working on Confluence since the transition to working remote. I’d love to keep the c...

32 views 2 4
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you