Confluence Permissions & Restrictions - Basic Question

Hugo February 9, 2019

Hello,

a simple question on how to design permissions and restrictions:

We have Space X and Space Y. Space X is only accessible für Group-X and Space Y is only accessible für Group-Y.

Now of course someone from GroupX wants to grant access to a page from Space-X to Bob from Group-Y.

My understanding is that now first you grant Bob access to Space-X and then restrict all the other pages in Space X, because you don't want Bob to see all the other pages in X.

Do you know of better alternative?

Of course for each collboration one could open up a new space but this is not really maintainable.

Would like to hear your thoughts on this basic question.

Thx,

Michael

1 answer

0 votes
Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2019

Hi @Hugo

Your question raises several others to clarify the situation:

• How long would the user from group Y use the page from space X? Just for a short period of time, permanently?
  • What his permissions would be? Read, edit, delete?
  • Do other users from group X need to read/edit this page at the time?

There're a couple of options there to share the page.

Hugo February 10, 2019

Hello grigory,

1. Let's handle both cases - how would you design for short and long usage?
  2. Permission would be read+edit
  3. sometimes yes, sometimes no

thx,

Michael

Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2019

Actually, I hoped to narrow down our options, didn't work out, apparently :)

Ok. If I were to handle this kind of request, I'd do it the following way:

(Let's say a user from group Y needs access to the page from space X)

1. Give the user permissions to use space X (edit or view would depend on our goal)
  2. Reorder the needed page and place it to the top in the pages' hierarchy, make it a top page (among other top pages)
  3. Edit page's restrictions to let the user view/edit this page while hiding all other pages.
  4. When the user no longer needs the page, reorder it back
  5. Inform all the users from both spaces what placing the page to the top means.

Placing the page to the top will save us the effort to fine-tune all the restrictions down to the page in question. We can easily get lost in it.

While configuring restrictions keep in mind that view restrictions are inherited and edit are not.

If a user needs to access the page on a more permanent basis, I'd recommend giving him/her rights to the required space, configuring page restrictions to hide more sensitive content.

Everything depends on the situation.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events